Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane Range Dilemma
spillenger
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 16:06

I have a Kenmore natural gas range (bottom-of-the-line model), which I've converted to propane using the hardware and instructions that came with the range: I've replaced the spuds (orifices) in the burners on the stove top; adjusted the spud in the oven burner; and reversed the pin in the range's internal regulator as instructed so that it works with propane. I have flared both ends of a 4-foot length of flexible copper tubing, attached one end via a flared fitting to the range intake; attached the other end to a two-stage regulator; and then connected the regulator to a 20-pound propane cylinder via a male ½-inch flared connector.

I opened the valve on the propane cylinder, tested all the connections for leaks, and plugged the range into an electrical outlet (for stovetop panel lights and electronic ignition). I then turned on one of the stovetop burners – no propane went to the burner. I tried all the burners – same result. No sound, no smell, no flame.

Is there an obvious reason why this might be happening? Can anyone suggest a series of troubleshooting steps to track down the problem?

Many thanks.

Rob_O
# Posted: 10 Aug 2011 17:58

Is the regulator oriented properly? they only flow one way.

Loosen the fitting at the input to the stove? Do you have pressure there?

spillenger
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 14:42

You can find some photo of my propane range setup at http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/4859906/1/propane%20stove%20folder?h=2da22e

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 11 Aug 2011 21:54

i would check the gas supply line for obstructions---aka "stopped up line", a dirt dobber or spiders will stop a gas line up in a second.I bought a nice propane fish cooker at a yard sale, and it would not work,took the supply line off and dirt dobber nest in line and also in the gas orfice.All were completely stopped up. I took siome high air pressure and blew out the lines and now it works like a charm.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.