Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / battery question
bhebby
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 12:05

I plan on running 2 deep cycle rechargable batteries and 2 lamps both with LED lightbulbs from Phillips 60W equiv.

I plan on using a solar trickle charger to keep them fresh. Do I need to invest in a solar watt charge regulator? Any guesses or estimates how long I could run these lamps on a full charge? Thanks for the future advice.

Kithera
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 13:48

From what I read, you're using (A) flooded, vented lead acid batteries and (B) a small panel (10W or less).

That should be realitively safe with no charge controller.

Some safety tips and longevitity tips though:
* Such batteries with discharge flammable hydrogen gas as they charge. They should be vented occasionally. I have such a setup in an actively used home, and don't have difficulties with the gas. However, if you leave your cabin for months at a time, crack a window or leave the batteries outside.
* check your water level and add more water as necessary, at least once a month if not using a charge controller.

TomChum
# Posted: 27 Sep 2011 23:32

Quoting: bhebby
Any guesses or estimates how long I could run these lamps on a full charge? Thanks for the future advice.

We need to know the wattage of the LED lamps and the amp-hour rating of the batteries.

As a wild guess, If the lights are 12 watts each, and if the batteries are 100 amp-hour then you will have light for about 100 hours. But don't run the battery down that far, run about 30 hours before recharging.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.