Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Cellular Range Extender
Borrego
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 16:41

Someone else must have this problem: there are lots of mountains around us and as well we are away from the city. We get coverage (Verizon) even 1/4 mi away from our property, and very rarely even on the property for a few seconds. So do they make something I could get to boost the signal? It would need to be battery powered, for now................

TomChum
# Posted: 29 Nov 2011 16:48 - Edited by: TomChum

This is discussed somewhat on small-cabin thread Off-Grid Living / Internet with your Cellphone

Check www.amazon.com for item "801212" ~$240
I'm using this amplifier. It boosts my reception from 0-2 bars, to 4-5 bars. It runs on 12v and uses about 0.5w on 'idle', then about 3w during a phonecall.

A small animal chewed thru my antenna wire. If you have critters protect your wire if you can.

brandywine
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 20:23

This is a great place to go to learn about this topic.
URL

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 20:34

Quoting: TomChum
Check www.amazon.com for item "801212" ~$240

Holy Cow! Those things are expensive. I was reading the info on them and it says it requires no contact with the phone. What is it then, some kind of a repeater for the signal?

TomChum
# Posted: 30 Nov 2011 21:27 - Edited by: TomChum

I think there are others at lower cost than $240. When I bought mine it was $336, so the price has come down. I have not investigated lower cost units. Also I only looked at 12vDC units.

For the amplifier I have, the phone needs to be about "8 inches" from the re-radiating antenna. It gets sketchy at 2 feet away. It's like having a ~2 foot cord on your cellphone..... but at least it works.

I am currently investigating a more powerful unit. Most large department stores have a repeater inside the building so customers don't have to go running outside the store to take a call. These units cost a lot more .... $500-$700. I'm currently interested in a unit that might allow use of my cellphone up to 25 feet away from the amplifier:

Here are the items I'm looking at, all www.wilsonelectronics.com

Outside antenna 304411
12vDC (actually 6v) Amplifier 805045
Re-radiating antenna 301135
(and the antenna cables)

I'll look thru the link from brandywine too (thx!)

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.