Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / ECO-FAN
brokeneck
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 17:55

My family gave me an Eco-Fan for Christmas -- for those of you not familiar with it -- it creates electricity from the heat of your stove and pushes up to 150 cfm of air with a gentle push you can hardly feel. Pretty pricey at $100 -- but definitely moves the air out of the upper storage lofts and kept me warm and toasty over the holidays when the temps dropped down into the teens and single digits. Anyone else using one?
ecofan.jpg
ecofan.jpg

wakeslayer
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 18:01

We have one in our cabin. They work great !!

SE Ohio
# Posted: 2 Jan 2012 19:13

I want one! I've seen them priced at more than $100...

RnR
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 10:57

They are totally worth it. Ours has been working fine for 2 years.

Anonymous
# Posted: 5 Jan 2012 20:33

I have one, and I read the reviews before I got it, but if I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't spend the $$ on one again.

From my usage, it seems to work when your cabin is cold but once it is warmed up there isn't enough of a temperature difference to keep the unit spinning.

I'm very skeptical that there is 14% savings in wood usage like they claim on their website.

TomChum
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 00:33 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: Anonymous
I'm very skeptical that there is 14% savings in wood usage like they claim on their website.

Me too. There's no possible way to get 14% from a 1/1000th horsepower fan.

wakeslayer
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 15:21

I am a bit skeptical as well. We have the small one. It does push the air towards our kitchen area a bit, which is below our loft, but 14% is fantasy land. The larger ones do get cruising quite well, but still... I think you would have to use 25% more wood to get it hot enough to push that much air. Still cool little devices.

Vince P
# Posted: 6 Jan 2012 18:19

Quoting: Anonymous
From my usage, it seems to work when your cabin is cold but once it is warmed up there isn't enough of a temperature difference to keep the unit spinning.

Dissapointed to hear this, I've been wanting to get one for some time now. I might just kludge a few 12v computer fans together and mount at a strategic distance...

bhebby
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 22:10

Would a propane wall heater put off enough heat to move this?Cabin is too small for a wood stove thanks-Brett

wakeslayer
# Posted: 7 Jan 2012 23:56

It needs to sit right on the top plate of the stove to spin. The heat in the stand is where it converts from for electricity.

bhebby
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 09:37

I saw they have models for gas stoves I have to look at it more or contact them to see if it will work for my application. I hope so because buying 8D batteries in the long run will add up quick .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.