Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Connecting solar panels
forcedair
# Posted: 8 Jan 2012 23:56

I have three 30W solar panels. What is the correct way to connect them? Just twist all the positive wires together with the positive wire going to the controller, and do the same with the negative wires?

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 09:57

Without knowing the maximum input rating of your charge controller nobody can safely answer that. My guess is that Yes, that is what you can do as we're not talking about high levels of power. But that's a guess.

The controller should have the maximum input current and voltage on it or in its manual. The panels will also have a rating of maximum output voltage and current. If you connect the panels in parallel as you describe multiply the max output current x3.

That x3 amps figure and the max voltage of the panels must both be less than the maximum input ratings of the charge controller.

forcedair
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 10:39

Thanks for responding. I have a MPPT controller rated at a max of 12 amps. The panels consist of 2 15W Amorphous solar panels X 3. The manufacturer rates the output at 2 amps per set of 2. So with my set of 3, I'm hoping for an out put of 6 amps under ideal conditions. It seems to be working, but I want to make sure I've connected the panels correctly.

MtnDon
# Posted: 9 Jan 2012 13:01

Sounds correct. When looking at the output figures though look for the Voc values for volts and the Isc for amps, not the power producing numbers.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.