Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 1261 Wood Stove (US Stove) vs. Vogelzang Standard Boxwood BX26E
tcmatt
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 01:12

These appear to very similiar (almost identical). Any suggestions on which is better? One older post here noted that the Vogelzang's wall thickness was very thin. Another observation of mine is that the US Wood Stove is UL Listed and the Vogelzang is not - but I'm not really familiar with what that means.

Here's link to both stoves websites...

https://www.usstove.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=309&product_id=498

and

http://www.vogelzang.com/browse.cfm/standard-boxwood-stove/4,13.html

my cabin will be 12x16 with a half loft.

thanks

MtnDon
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 10:32

The weight of each is listed to be within 3 lbs. So, So, perhaps they are the same stove. Hard to say, for certain but they sure look alike. They both have the same potential issue, and that is they will both gobble up interior space when installed safely according to the recommended clearances. The Vogelsang claims more BTU output but I've been skeptical of their claims; they always seem to be higher than stoves sold by others that look the same.

The UL label means the stove model has been run through safety tests and if the mfg clearances are followed there should be no fire danger. It also means that your insurance company will be happy; well they may charge extra because you have a wood stovein the first place, but at least if it's UL they should say okay.

darz5150
# Posted: 10 Jan 2012 20:29

I have the vogelzang stove you mentioned. We like it a lot. It is in a room addition that is 12 x 16 connected to another room 12 x 16 also. I laid ceramic tile on the floor (4 feet by 4 feet) for protection against stray sparks and embers. The clearance on the back corners is around 12 inches. I put pole barn sheet metal in the corner behind it for added protection. I also have a moveable heat sheild to protect the walls when we have a bigger fire burning. I checked the heat around it with a digital thermometer when we had a raging fire going and the temp. by the walls never got over 140 degrees ( thats less than a medium rare steak ). I think I got the ideas for the heat sheilds from the NFPA 211 website that tells you how to cut down on wall clearances.
woodstove 1
woodstove 1
woodstove 2
woodstove 2

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.