Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / battery operated fan?
bhebby
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 21:52

Does anyone have any luck or success stories with a battery operated fan? I am looking to push some air around to get a good heat distribution. I dont have electricity. I am also open to any ideas.thanks in advance-Bhebby

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 22:20

I have one of these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Zephyr-LED-Tent-Light-and-Fan/4767725

It's about 6" wide but uses 4 D batteries and seems to move the air pretty well. Used it over the bed this summer hanging down on a rope down to a useable level. Used the light on it this weekend for a little bit until we got the generator going.

bhebby
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 22:24

I am trying to move the hot air that settles at the top down towards the floor. Do you think it has enough power to do it?

darz5150
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 22:49

I have a 12 inch fan that I bought at a truck stop. It can be powered from batteries or with a cigarette lighter plug in. It moves quite a bit of air. The fan cost $20 bucks. You might want to consider getting a lawn and garden battery ( about $20 bucks or less ) That way you can recharge the batt. from your car with jumper cables since you don't have electricity available. In the long run it will save you some money compared to buying batteries constantly.

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Jan 2012 23:58

This isn't exactly what you are asking about, but it is, IMO, the best DC powered ceiling fan there is. Two models; the Vari-Fan and the Vari-Cyclone. the Vari-Cyclone moves more air than the Vari-Fan for the same power comsumption. The Vari-Fan looks more traditional and costs less.

We have the Vari-Cyclone in the 24 VDC version. Love it!!

We got ours from TheSolar.Biz. There are also other vendors.

TADunne
# Posted: 16 Jan 2012 02:53

I have a few of these fans for my cabin and they work great. They run off of 8D batteries, which usually last us several weekends. I know they also have a more expensive model that uses rechargeable batteries. I have provided a couple links so you can check them out.

http://www.o2-cool.com/about.php

http://www.walmart.com/ip/O2Cool-10-Battery-Operated-Fan-with-AC-Adapter/15522388

sfrock
# Posted: 25 Jan 2012 22:46

My friend who paid me a visit gave me something really interesting which is a fan that functions as a solar charger as well. What you have to do is expose it to light and let it generate power on its own you can use later.

That is really nice and useful should you wish to have something that does not consume that much power. We all know that is some sort of scarcity in this rank.

bhebby
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 07:57

Sfrock do you have a model/mfg? where to source it thanks

justincasei812
# Posted: 26 Jan 2012 12:08

I have one of the same fans (8D cell batteries) as TADunne. It was at the cabin when I bought it and just put in batteries. I have cathedral ceilings so the warm air settles high, from about waste down it is a bit chillier. this has seemed to work pretty decent so far but as TADunne said the batteries only last so long.

Off_grid_hunter
# Posted: 27 Jan 2012 15:17

Instead you could get yourself a small solar panel and use it to charge a car battery and run a fan from that...

You'd spend more money on batteries in a year than the solar panel, charging unit and car battery!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.