Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Advantages of generating elect for heat vs. propane
bobrok
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 11:27

QUOTING Bzzzzzt:

we ran a 1500 watt space heater for AT LEAST 13 hours plus lights and charging

I don't want to hijack the other thread but I have a question about this. Until I make a move towards either a stove of some sort or replacing my unvented heater with a vented one is this an efficient way to heat a small cabin (I have 400 sq ft).
I'm thinking rather than overworking the propane heather is it efficient to run my 2000 watt Honda EUi
to power something like a 1500 watt heater?

Off the top I would guess that this depends a lot on your indoor temperature and how much rise you need in order to bring it up to comfort level. I don't imagine a 1500 watt electric heater could compete with a propane heater for output. I wish I knew offhand the BTU output of my propane heather but I don't.
At any rate, even if it just supplements the propane and causes it to run less is it efficient and worth it to burn gas outside in the generator and make electricity rather than have the propane heather going full blast?

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 11:37

While a 2000 watt generator WILL RUN a 1500 watt heater, if you're going to use it for any length of time I'd certainly recommend at least a 3000 watt generator. Most generators are actually rated to be used at 50% power. They have peak and running watts but still you should budget your electricity at 50% of the running watts.

I use both a propane little buddy and the 1500 space heater. If it's really cold I use both but otherwise I just use one or the other. There are advantages and disadvantages both ways. Having the exhaust fumes outside rather than CO inside is the electric plus. Having very little noise and a lot more satisfying heat is the propane plus.

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:21 - Edited by: MtnDon

FYI, 1 KW = 3413 BTU/hr

so 1500 watts = 5120 BTU

As far as pure efficiency, it is better to burn fuel to provide direct heat, as in burning propane to produce heat. Burning fuel to make electricity and use the electricity to make heat is less efficient... you are leaving a bunch of the heat value of the fuel burned by the generator engine outside as waste heat off the engine. But there is also the indoor CO factor so that's a choice that affects the decision.

MtnDon
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 12:26

Of course the cost of different fuels adds confusion to the equation.

bobrok
# Posted: 21 Jan 2012 13:29

Thanks to both Bzzzzt & MtnDon for the replies!
I should have remembered before I posted that a generator needs to run at 50% of rated capacity over time...just let my fingers fly before thinking that part through but certainly appreciate the reminder. So my little elect heater does have a 1250 watt setting also, but, of course, that means even less heat output and the generator still runs, albeit less strain.

I'd love to burn wood, but the constant fire tending doesn't play well with my other cabin habits...like leaving for an afternoon! I know we've gone down the road before here about venting propane and I think I might be able to accomplish this even with my floor plan, but the thought of some alternate method of instant on and off heat was too exciting and caused me to jump in with my post above.

That's why I bumped my pellet stove post yesterday. They seem to be a more efficient and controllable means of heating vs. wood burning but for the fact that they all use electricity. And you can even make your own pellets if you so choose so you can stay a little on the self-sufficient side vs. buying them from a store.

Thanks again, guys!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.