Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / propane stove
islandguy
# Posted: 6 Apr 2009 18:48

I bought a used GE gas stove for the cabin, converted to propane. When I test it, the burners work fine, but the oven is controlled electroncally, so it burns full flame only, then turns itself on and off to maintain temperature. The question I have is the size of the flames for the oven, they seem quite high, and flames are visible above the pan at the bottom of the oven. I bought a bar-b-q hose and regulator, and used a 20 lb propane tank but are there different pressures for differnt appliances? there looks to be a regulator inside the back of the stove as well. Is this normal?

Anonymous
# Posted: 11 Apr 2009 12:31

You should be able to get a conversion kit for the stove. Natural gas and propane burn at different rates (as you discovered) and the conversion requires smaller jets and couplings for the gas hook ups. Most gas stoves (new) come with the conversion kit already.

RickandRandy
# Posted: 25 Nov 2009 12:01

Hey Islandguy,

The only place that I could get real answers and help for a used propane stove that I got was at an RV specialty shop. They specialize in these things, and were able to attach the necessary copper pipe, told me how to install it safely, and I was able to buy the hose and regulator too. I hope this helps.

Rick

lawnjocky
# Posted: 26 Nov 2009 19:56

To convert from natural gas to propane you change the burner orfices. Call the mfg and ask. The orfices are not expensive. If you can't get them ou can fill the existing ones with jb weld and re drill the correct size. The flame issue in the oven may be an aire/fuel mixture problem. On most burners there is a moveable sheet metal disk where the gas comes in. Rotating the disk adjusts how much air is coming in and changes the characteristics of the flame. Poke around on the web a bit and you should be able to find pictures of a properly adjusted flame. The two pressure regulators shouldn't cause any problems.

Jocko

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Jan 2010 00:26

Quoting: Anonymous
You should be able to get a conversion kit for the stove. Natural gas and propane burn at different rates (as you discovered) and the conversion requires smaller jets and couplings for the gas hook ups. Most gas stoves (new) come with the conversion kit already.

What he said And as for pressure, you BBQ regulator is right. I think all gas appliances run around 11 PSI.

larry
# Posted: 25 Feb 2010 21:56

ther is a procedure for adjusting the gas flow rate to the oven burner. check online for the owner manuel and proper procedure. there may even be a procedure for adjusting the internal stove regulator. i know what you're going through i have just gone through it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.