Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / How does new poo compost?
yankeesouth
# Posted: 30 Jan 2012 15:03

OK...there are some things I do not understand about composting toilets. Hopefully one of you composting guys can clear it up. How long does it take to compost the poo?

What I mean is this.....regardless of the make/model or whatever of the toilet system....if the crapper is used every weekend or even every other weekend there is a constant stream (no pun attended) of new waste being added. ( I guess I am looking at it from the angle of owning a commercial model, Sun-mar, Biolet, etc.) If all the waste goes into the same holding tank you may have waste that is 10 weeks old then also the fresh contribution you made from the current weekend. So how does it, (the fresh stuff) compost? I can understand that if 4 weeks worth of waste were put into a bucket, consistently stirred, and left to compost for a few months......the composting process would happen. How does composting happen when fresh poo is always being introduced?

Maybe I am not saying it right.....Basically...... if you're constantly adding fresh poo say every weekend how are things supposed to breakdown and compost?

jeffgreef
# Posted: 31 Jan 2012 18:25

I used a Sunmar for a while. It has a drum in the middle and the poop goes there. You have to turn the drum periodically. It's set up so that only fine composted particals fall into the tray below. That stuff isn't stinky. Works well.

But, I had flies in the thing and could not get rid of them. Yuck. Stopped using it when I moved out of that location, was glad not to have that thing to deal with anymore. I'd use one for occasional use again, but I'd also move heaven and earth to get a septic in place and water to flush it. Make it GO AWAY so I don't have to deal with it.....

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.