Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Panel kits from Costco
Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 4 Feb 2012 22:18

I just discovered that Costco, the club like Sam's Club, offers solar panel kits specifically designed for on grid tie ins.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?whse=BC&topnav=&search=Grape%20Solar%20panel s&N=0&Ntt=Grape%20Solar%20panels&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US

I also discovered that my utility company where I get my electricity at my house will pay me $2 per watt of electric I install (with some stipulations, of course) and I'm seriously thinking about this kind of project after I get my cabin solar set up.

Any of you solar gurus got any opinions about these systems? The site says they are useful for off grid as well.

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 00:46

I had a quick look at the 880 watt kit. I can buy a similar model (newer) Enphase grid tie inverter and similar brand name PV modules locally for $2000 or less. That's without the roof top mounts. Mounts can be surprisingly costly but I think I could come up with parts from Unirac for less than $1300.

TomChum
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 01:26 - Edited by: TomChum

The smallest unit, 880W is a LOT of power for a "small cabin". Take a look at the 240W, 110vAC system HERE, for $1300

The 100 w panels at Costco are 2.79/watt, and wholesalesolar.com/ has some for $1.50/watt! Solar prices are getting reasonable - for comparison, I paid $5/watt 18 months ago! I'm using one 85W panels, and when running the 12v refrigerator in the summer, two 85W panels.

If I did it again I would not buy "12v" panels I'd buy 48v panels to save $ on wire cost. Because I need 100 feet of wire to put my panels in unobstructed sunlight, 2x100 feet of fat copper wire costs more than panels. But then I'd have to use 110vAC and I kind of like 12vDC for the cabin. 110vAC might attract some unwanted appliances.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 09:15 - Edited by: Bzzzzzt

I'm looking at something much smaller for my cabin and off grid. At my main house however, and with a $2 per watt kick back from my electric company plus the 30% tax credit of what remains, a system of this nature looks inviting.

I know a guy who has a grid tie in setup and I guess I'll hit him up and go look at what he has. I just thought you guys with your vast solar knowledge would be interested. Thank you very much for your input. Much appreciated. รท)

VTweekender
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 11:34 - Edited by: VTweekender

Is that to buy the electric from you? or some sort of rebate on the system.

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Feb 2012 13:05

Is that a one time up front payment for installing the equipment? That's a good deal then. Our power company offers a couple of net metering plans. One gives a credit for power produced but no real money. For most folks that is not a big deal as they never produce more than they use. But they also offer a plan where they actually send you a check or do a direct deposit every month for any over production. They pay more than the usage rates too. But not enough to get rich on.

Depending on what other uses there would be for the money getting paid for some power generation can be a better more dependable return on the investment.

Maybe you've checked, maybe not, does your power company permit you to have batteries in the system? Ours never used to, but now as long as all the proper automatic switches are installed a home battery backup can be used. We did some rewiring and have the furnace, refrigerator and freezer plus a few lights on a new sub-panel that has a small battery bank to cover our essential needs in a power outage for up to a day without any worry. Then a generator with auto start will kick in as needed. It's a natural gas fueled unit and can also be used to supply other household needs via a manual transfer switch.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 19:22

Quoting: TomChum
Take a look at the 240W, 110vAC system HERE, for $1300

I wanted to compare apples to apples. I looked at the site you showed here at the 2400W system (Which was the system I was eying at Costco.) which is $6635 but that does NOT include the racks that are an extra $75 each bringing the total up to $7385 and that price does not include shipping.

At Costco, the 2300 Watt system is $7999. Includes racks, central inverter and shipping. I'd say the cost is about the same the only difference is that they have the stuff bundled together as a package. Cost per watt is comparable. Brand name may play a role but I wouldn't have a clue about that.

I would guess that if a guy buys just the panels and figures out a mounting system of his own they might be cheaper.

MtnDon
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 20:04

Maybe you are aware, but if you install a roof top system in an area that runs under NEC rules I believe you need a GFCI system in the modules DC side of the inverter.... But that might only be IF it's a metal roof. I don't recall. Just another piece of equipment....

And roof mount racks should have an air space between the module and the roof. Modules get hot enough in bright sun without the reflected heat of the roofing being added in.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 6 Feb 2012 21:09

Yeah, I already have NEC Article 690 opened up to read. LOL Thanks for the input. I went by the city offices today and talked to the inspector and he didn't seem to know much about a PV system. Before I buy anything I'm gonna do a lot of research. Already I discovered that I don't have the square footage on my roof to install the 3680W system. I only have enough space to mount twelve 64"x39" panels so that limits me to about 2400 watts max unless I build myself a rack and put them on the back of the roof as well. Dunno if I wanna tackle this or not, but it sure looks intriguing

Here's the web site to find rebates and incentives in your area: http://www.dsireusa.org/

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 9 Feb 2012 18:16

Tomchum: Thanks for pointing me towards Wholesale Solar. I've been conversing with a guy from there and if everything works out the way I think it will I may be buying the 2400Watt system from them. It looks as though it's going to cost about a grand less there than the 2300 watt system at Costco. I'm going to go down and talk to my utility company tomorrow and see how hard it's going to be to get that ball rolling.

TomChum
# Posted: 9 Feb 2012 21:16

Glad to help. My guy was Josh, he was very helpful.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.