Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Propane camp stoves used inside the cabin - is this safe?
<< . 1 . 2 .
rayyy
# Posted: 23 Aug 2012 17:23

You know,people with standard 4 burner pluss oven, gas stoves use them every day of the year so what's the big deal.Yah,your putting fumes and moisture inside but it;s not constant. Thoes vent free heaters put ton more fumes and condensate inside your place than a gas cook stove..

riki
# Posted: 19 Sep 2012 11:05

yeah. have built off grid 16x20 chalet. no electricity or water. will heat with wood stove - have a friend that wants to give me a two burner propane stove that I would use for heating water, heating up meals. Obvious hesitations with regards to proximity with the wood stove...the tank would be outside, and the stoves about 12 feet apart. Fairly well ventilated...but I'm not convinced I can safely have both in the same space...
anyone care to give me advice ?

bb
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 19:09

carbon monoxide will kill you! only use in a well ventilated area with a carbon monoxide detector in the room. my brother & sister in law lost their lives due to carbon monoxide poisoning using a coleman lantern in a cabin.

TomChum
# Posted: 31 Dec 2012 20:17

An old-school Coleman lantern that burns gasoline? Yes that would produce CO. A stove that burns gasoline would also produce CO.

If you want to be safe choose a 2-burner stove that uses propane.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 15:07

bb, almost all of us country folk have been using lp cook stoves our whole lives. They are never vented.

Owen

larry
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 21:57

wow..it just amazes me we didn't all kill ourselves cooking Christmas dinner in our propane ovens. if used with common sense they are safe.

gregpet
# Posted: 19 Apr 2015 20:59

I am a retired safety professional and I have quite a bit of experience with cabin and tenting living. I am a bit surprise at the varied responses. There are fuels that produce high amounts of CO (carbon monoxide) and fuels that produce very low amounts such as kerosene. White gas and gasoline are one the least efficient burning fuels, that is why they produce very high levels of CO. I would never use a coleman white gas cooker inside. They will fill the cabin up with CO very quickly. Where I live, everybody has a huge propane tank in the back yard and it provides the gas for cooking. I don't know of any that are vented. I also have a vent free fire place. I have tested for CO with a CO monitor and have never gotten any reading. The problem is the using up of the oxygen in the room by the burning and if there are other vapors in the room like paint fumes or perfumes or any chemical fumes. The fumes will be burnt by the stove and they will produce their own levels of CO which could be very high. So if a very small room it may need some ventilation for propane and Kerosene cookers produce very low levels and are a safe alternative. I have an article of a whole family that died in a tent because of bringing the barbi grill in to heat the tent. They died in their sleep.

groingo
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 10:14

It's only as safe as the person operating it with the first rule of thumb being always have adequate ventilation, and never leave it running un attended.
It can be done more safely but the above rules still apply.

Have been using my modified Coleman stove for heating and cooking these past two seasons while living full time in my cabin with no ill effects but the drawback has been noticeably lower quality Propane here in the Pacific Northwest making for less heat output and higher consumption combined with higher cost, it is simply not cost effective so will be going back to wood heat.

MtnDon
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 11:22

Quoting: groingo
Pacific Northwest making for less heat output

Is it really the propane? Altitude also affects the heat output by approx 3% less output per 1000 feet. Add to that increased CO production unless the stove has been re-jetted.

groingo
# Posted: 20 Apr 2015 11:58 - Edited by: groingo

Don:
There is a lot more "water" in the propane plus they aren't verifying meter accuracy of pumps any more and I found the place I was getting mine this season was shorting me 1/2 gallon for every 4.6 gallons pumped based on verified weight.

I am at 320 feet elevation and yes the stove was re jetted two years ago but not since plus this was a very mild winter.

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.