Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / I bought an amazing wood stove... how do I restore it?
optimistic
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 21:20

I still don't have a cabin... or land - until next week at least, but I just had to pounce on this. A guy was about to toss it to the scrap grabbers but I got it from him for 100$. It is from 1919 and it is supposed to be in perfect working condition. I will test it later on but he did test it a week ago.

It sat in the rain for a few days so the top has some rust on it and it also has some rust inside.

Anyone knows how to restore it or can give a good link for a guide on how return its glory?
20120426_11.56.54..jpg
20120426_11.56.54..jpg

optimistic
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 21:20

Oh BTW- I plan on using it has a wood burning stove - and not for cooking.

MtnDon
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 21:35

Stove Hospital

davestreck
# Posted: 26 Apr 2012 22:56 - Edited by: davestreck

I second Stove Hospital. I've been to his shop and seen his stuff, and he is a master.

Also, check out this article for good DIY info.

That stove looks like it will be a winner after a little WD-40 and a ScotchBrite. Good score.

BRL
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 07:18

Optimistic nice cookstove! You will love it, these things are amazing! I will never live without one again. We have ours in our kitchen and down to 15deg out with heat our whole house 2700 sqft. As far as cleaning it up, its in great shape just get yourself a tube of williams stove polish (home depot has it around here) and rub it on all your cast iron parts. Do this once a year and you are good to go! After you do it open all windows and get a fire going, it will smoke pretty bad. After the first burn you are good to go. Here is a pic of ours.
Summer_2009_055.jpg
Summer_2009_055.jpg

optimistic
# Posted: 27 Apr 2012 09:10

I'll look into that DIY guide.

BRL- great looking stove you got there.

groingo
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 11:24

If the body of the stove is good and not rusted or burned through (that includes the oven insides too), then just make sure it is clean on the inside and under the cooking surfaces (mouse nests, spider webs and crud).
Check the fire box shaker grates to be sure they are not burned through and function as well as the heat insulators in the fire box (be sure they are intact and stay in place) then check the ash pan again to be sure it is intact...if all is well then fire it up and see how it works, then lastly clean your cooking surface, check for cracked or mis matched lids, clean surface well and either paint with stove black or better yet the less expensive barbecue black which fills good and can be polished back unlike stove black.

Enjoy it!

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Apr 2012 18:30

Yes,you can use steel wool on the nickel plating and a fine wire brush on the iron and flat steel.mask off all the shiney surfaces with that blue painters tape and spray paint with flat black high temp paint.Will look like a million bucks.Nice find.

dfosson
# Posted: 30 Apr 2012 19:41

I agree with rayyy. Use a very fine mesh steel wool, wire brush or even course steel wool. Mask and paint with black high temp. Just did the same work on a stove last year and it still looks new.
stove before restoring
stove before restoring
restored stove
restored stove
kitchen stove
kitchen stove

hakalugi
# Posted: 2 May 2012 13:18

dfosson - nice job!

exsailor
# Posted: 2 May 2012 13:21

Sweet save, congratulations!

wakeslayer
# Posted: 2 May 2012 13:57

dfosson, that is really, really nice.

rayyy
# Posted: 2 May 2012 16:52

I like your stone wall,dfosson.I plan on doing the same thing behind my stove.

Anonymous
# Posted: 2 May 2012 16:57

Beautiful stove. I think a little bit of stove black, and you're set!

nickname
# Posted: 6 May 2012 10:43

I picked up a beautiful old wood stove years ago in a yard sale, for cheap,on investigation I found cracks in the cast iron below the fire box. this is what is meant by 'burned out'. I inquired about repairing it, and learned that the cast iron in such a case cannot easily be re-welded. It has changed structurally- the crystalline structure of the metal is not what it was when new and welding just doesn't work. Like patching old blue jeans- the patch if fine but the surrounding denim fails because it's worn out. On the other hand, I have a friend with an old wood stove that didn't get much use, the grates are in fine shape, has the original ash pan, and is ready to burn.

But, here in California, the air quality standards are so stiff that I don't think there is a county in the state where it's legal to install a stove that doesn't meet EPA particulate standards. Welcome to the modern world.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.