Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Just bought solar kit, anything else I need?
scrimshaw
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 09:10

Just bought this solar kit:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11113663&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lan g=en-US

I had to order separate 2 12V batteries and cables as well as output cable from panel to control charger.

Anything else I need? Someone mentioned an inverter switch. Is this necessary and do I install this on inside of cabin or outside? Is there a universal switch that would be compatible with the sunforce inverter? Thanks.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 10:17

Looks like a nice solar pack.
Quoting: scrimshaw
Anything else I need? Someone mentioned an inverter switch.

The kit already comes with 30 amp Charge Controller and 175W Inverter Included. With solar panel, batteries and cables that's all you need.
Quoting: scrimshaw
do I install this on inside of cabin or outside?

Keep all components inside - obviously, except the solar panel - it should be facing south at approximately 45 degrees angle.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 10:36

Cabinbuilder,

1. Do I need an inverter switch to turn off the inverter?

2. Can I run all components under the cabin in crawl space and if so do I need to run anything into the interior of the cabin above the crawl space?

3. What kind of cable do I need to get for connecting solar panel to circuit breaker (I need to buy a separate one from kit since I have to run solar panel about 40 feet from cabin).

Thanks!

Vince P
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 11:22

You only need an inverter switch if you want to to turn the inverter on/off remotely. I made my own with a std light switch and wire.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 12:40

will I need to turn off the inverter when I'm not using the cabin?

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 13:54

Your should, since inverter consumes some power when idle.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 14:05

and do i need a separate switch for this or will this be something I can do from the inverter itself?

Vince P
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 15:35

You can do it from the inverter. If you are mounting your inverter under the cabin like I did (keeps down the noise), it's more convenient to have a switch remotely located from inside the cabin.

Vince P
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 15:39

On the subject of inverter noise, I fried my inverter this past weekend (long story, my fault). In shopping for a new one, I see that there are a number of smaller inverters (I use 400W) that now have the thermostatically controlled fan option. That means that when there is no load on the inverter, the fan stays off and the inverter makes no noise. This is a great option at night if your inverter is indoors.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 15:59

So the charge controller will connect to the batteries and the solar panels separately. Then the batteries connect to the inverter--does the inverter connect directly to my circuit breaker/electric box?

Vince P
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 19:07

Yes, that sounds correct.

scrimshaw
# Posted: 21 Jul 2009 23:20

thanks for everyone's help and patience with me!

a few more questions if you don't mind.

1. what is a "disconnect" and do I need one? (and if so what kind do I get and how do I install)
2. now I'm considering putting a little cabinet on the exterior of cabin to put batteries, controller and inverter in. would like to have remove inverter switch from inverter to inside of cabin...is this necessary? will the inverter drain when cabin not in use without turning off inverter? (I'll be using cabin only twice a week at most)
3. My sunny spot is about 40 feet from the cabin...so I'll need to purchase some cable...what cable do I need to buy? I saw a site that promoted "output cable" is this what I need and what guage would be ideal?
4. I have an eight foot grounding rod at the circuit breaker. Do I need one at the solar panel too?

I'm still waiting on the kit I just ordered so hopefully it will have some instructions with it, but from what I've learned from you guys I need to setup the solar panels and connect them to the charge controller which connect to the batteries (will have two 12 V 110ah) which connect to the inverter which connects to my main circuit breaker. Other than that if there are any details I'm leaving out like the disconnect I've hear somewhat and a "fuse" in the controller?? please let me know so I can have a heads up before installing. Thanks again, sorry for all the questions!

Vince P
# Posted: 22 Jul 2009 08:08

In order:
1. A disconnenct in this case is the same as an inverter switch and simply disconnects the inverter from the battery.
2. Like cabinbuilder said, turn the inverter off when not at the cabin, it will continue to drain your batteries even with solar panels charging your batterries during the day.
3. Go with 14 or 16 guage it needn't be that beefy unless you have a lot of panels with a high amperage
4. No, do not ground the panels... but it wouldn't hurt to put a fuse between the panel and the charge controller.

The thing to remember about these small solar panel setups is that they are, in essence, just a battery charger. They cannot charge as fast as you can consume, so if you plan on using your cabin more than once every few weeks, expect to have to charge the batteries with a generator/batter charger.

Vince

scrimshaw
# Posted: 22 Jul 2009 08:43

So Vince you're saying no disconnect needed since I'll in essence have one as the inverter on/off switch...thanks.

Will turn inverter off...thinking of making an attachment shelter/box to incase batteries, inverter, controller...should be easy to go outside and turn off as will only using once/twice a week. If I decide to go with a remote inverter switch, is there a universal switch that will work with inverters or which one did you use? Was it hard to install?

I wired the house with 12 guage so will probably use it to wire the panel to controller...will any outdoor 12 guage work or do I need a special cable for solar?

Any reason not to ground panels...only reason I asked saw a youtube video and they grounded panels to aluminum frame holding panels.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions!

scrimshaw
# Posted: 22 Jul 2009 08:52

One other question I forgot...
I'll have two 80 W panels, 175W inverter, and 30 Amp Charge Controller...

1. is there a max number of batteries I can use for my battery bank.
2. I was planning on going with 12 V AGM batteries...what aH do you recommend?

Vince P
# Posted: 23 Jul 2009 09:02

1. Again, putting in a disconnect switch shouldn't be necessary with the set up your describing. Adding one might contribute to the safety of the setup, but IMHO, it's just one more link in the chain that might fail through loose connections, etc.
2. Grounding the panels isn't something I've seen before, you usually run both positive and negative wires to the charge controller. Read the the instructions that come with your kit. They should tell you if this is necessary with your particular setup.
3. Outdoor 12 guage will work fine.
4. No max on the batteries. The more the better.
5. I have 2 AGM and 1 flooded type. AGM are certainly the better ones. As for amp hours, the higher the better. You can't have too much capacity.
Vince

scrimshaw
# Posted: 23 Jul 2009 09:15

Thanks Vince, answered all my questions (even the repetitive ones:))

I ordered 4 110aH agm batteries yesterday. Thanks!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.