Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Chimney Heaters
mach10bill
# Posted: 29 May 2012 10:06

I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000 square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.

The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will solve that but I dont know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going. I will attach a pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a Grundfos and has three speeds.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------

mach10bill
# Posted: 29 May 2012 10:08

If some people dont know what a Chimney Heater is here is a pic
DSC02513.JPG
DSC02513.JPG

sparky1
# Posted: 6 Jun 2012 18:03

check this out---i have one---on small solar Hot water panel---have to use compression copper Pipe & fittings 12 volt DC.
sparky1 in southern- Virginia, USA

Solar Circulation Pump running

analogmanca
# Posted: 7 Jun 2012 00:49 - Edited by: analogmanca

That is interesting. Are these used to recover chimney heat, and dump it into water? What do you do with the heated water? I am thinking baseboard or in floor?
How does it heat your 2000 sqft? That is what looks to be a small coil,and 2000 sqft is a lot of area to heat.
If those are typical 1 sqft tiles that coil cant be more than 9 inches in length ( the formost one, I see the others are longer). What is the diameter of the pipe? 1/2 inch? and what is the diameter of the entire coil?

sparky1
# Posted: 7 Jun 2012 11:09

since he hasn't answered yet
My idea is he has baseboard, heat as much of Europe has.
I lived in scotland 3 years, friend had wood stove. coils on the side of it piped into the water heater & valve to isolate it,worked wonderfully, here in s-Va i took a old refrigerator apart,all the freon had leaked out a long time ago-the freezer had a nice Aluminum coil.3/8" fittings.flushed it out ..affixed it to Wood stove, Plaster of paris, 12 volt camper pump-cold input,it worked great,didn't hold much water but did what i wanted. rv pump not good for Hot water..but circulate it.limit heat say 100 degrees Nice hot shower,via old Camper 6 gallon water heater tank..
keebler.

analogmanca
# Posted: 8 Jun 2012 01:15 - Edited by: analogmanca

I imagine baseboard, so this fits inside the chimney? and a pump must have to circulate the water. If thats so I would be very worried about a flow restriction,pump failure, power failure. The design, and application does not look fail safe.

sparky1
# Posted: 8 Jun 2012 16:33

NO !!! coils are external to stove---on the sides---never restrict Stove exhaust,,,BUT you can (wrap) copper pipe around the stack it's called (Waste Heat) collect heat that way (BUT) you are effectivily cooling the stack and get Cresote build up doing that.
keebler.

analogmanca
# Posted: 8 Jun 2012 21:02 - Edited by: analogmanca

If they are ment to go on the side, why are they round,and not flat, Why the name "Chimney " heaters?
Not that I disagree with you as I personaly would not put one in a chimney for the reasons you gave.

sparky1
# Posted: 9 Jun 2012 09:08

the coils i bought back in 84's were "Round as well" better flow---flatten out 1/2" pipe & you restrict the flow.
i looked for the paper work can't find it .
& i eventually burned out the stove threw it away-it's one with Flip top-Brick lined access right end held 22 "logs--you could cook on it-they (were) about 300.oo at the time-I still see them,in Hard ware stores,@599.oo 6" output on the Back.

exsailor
# Posted: 6 Jul 2012 12:20

Seems like a better way of doing this is a flat reservoir tank would be setting on top of the stove. The entire tank would be ho so you could still cook on the surface if you wished. You use direct heat transfer, with enough volume to use thermodynamic transfer, constantly pulling the cool water return loop into the tank. No pump would be needed unless maybe at the far end. You wouldn't have to concern yourself with cooling your stove pipe and creosote build- up. This should work for wall board heat or even under the floor radiant heat. You could tap off the side for hot water supply for the shower or sink. If you leave the top with a vented cap you wouldn't have to worry about a steam explosion, which would be very bad. You could also top off the tank after depleting the water supply for dishes or a shower. Temperature regulation would be a problem for radiant or base board heat. Since the top is vented you would keep the cabin air moist in the winter, maybe too moist.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.