Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / 145 Watt solar panel for $140
. 1 . 2 . >>
buckybuck
# Posted: 29 May 2012 21:13

Here's a 145 watt solar panel on Amazon for $140 including shipping. Seems like a good deal. I hope so, I just ordered one:

http://astore.amazon.com/newworldsolar-20/detail/B007VPQP5Q

sparky1
# Posted: 30 May 2012 20:21

I saw that link last night off "Harbor Freight 45 watt panel web site".Love to do it- had to Buy New freezer for trailer.. today.
keep us posted as how well it does.
sparky1.

buckybuck
# Posted: 30 May 2012 21:48

I already got a "shipped" message from Amazon saying the panel was in transit from Phoenix, and will arrive Tuesday. This evening, I emailed a question to the seller about what sort of solar controller would work best with this, and got an answer back within 10 minutes. I'm impressed so far.

doo-drew
# Posted: 31 May 2012 06:07

I'm looking at the link you posted and the harbor freight one. Lo comparing the 2, it sends that the one you ordered is more efficient than the harbor freight one. Please update when you get out. I will be ordering one. What charge controller are you looking at?

buckybuck
# Posted: 31 May 2012 16:47

Here's the charge controller I ordered:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251057372392?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l26 49

Nothing special--just the cheapest 10 amp controller at the time on eBay that shipped from the US. I also ordered got a 15-foot mc4 cable to go from the panel to the controller. That cable cost more than the controller.

TomChum
# Posted: 31 May 2012 17:42 - Edited by: TomChum

Hmmmm....... Hooking that 18v panel to a 12v battery will pull the voltage down to around 12.7v but current goes up to about 11.4A. And it will take some ideal conditions to actually get 145W out of the panel. So in reality, not much of a worry. At $17 not a big loss if it can't handle the 145A panel.

145w/12.7v= 11.4Amps

In any case, a 10A charge controller for something like 11.4Amps doesn't leave a lot of headroom for full sun at noon.

But in any case, for those who haven't ordered yet, my advice is to choose the 20Amp (+$3)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/20A-Solar-Charge-Controller-Solar-regulator-12V-24V-Solar-pan el-charge-regulator-/251053388331?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a73f2b22b#ht_2436wt _995 Or even choose the 30A (+$8) which has the headroom to add another panel if you need.

Also the size of wire that you choose to go from the panel to the charge controller, and how long this wire is, has a HUGE effect with such low voltage as 12v. If you want to economize on wire, used romex is good. Consider using all 3 strands of one romex for each side.

Dillio187
# Posted: 31 May 2012 22:42

a lot of charge controllers will just clip the output to their rating.

darz5150
# Posted: 1 Jun 2012 20:47

Question. Can this panel be connected in parallel with 12 volt panels?

TomChum
# Posted: 2 Jun 2012 01:24

Normally if you have a 12v system you will need "18v panels". So sometimes 18v panels are called "12v panels" simply for the systems they're used in.

18v is the 'open circuit voltage' (nothing hooked up to the panel). When the so-called 18v panel is actually "working" it's putting out between 12 and 15 volts, perfect for charging a 12v battery.

If the "12v panels" you are referring to actually make about 18v when there is nothing connected to it, then the answer to your question is "yes".

doo-drew
# Posted: 2 Jun 2012 09:40

Well... that same panel is now $160 w/free shipping on Amazon. Went to the factory web-site and its only $120... I was so excited until I click the shipping button. $50 for ground and $75 for truck. Yikes!!! You got a heck of a deal at $140

buckybuck
# Posted: 5 Jun 2012 16:19

My solar panel arrived! The box claims that it was made in Taiwan, which was a somewhat pleasant surprise.

I've got it hooked up to a small deep cycle battery, which is in turn hooked up to a small inverter and a small table fan. Just experimenting. It is a cloudy day, so I'm only getting about 16 volts out of the panel. I'm not quite sure how to check amps on a solar panel using my free Harbor Freight multimeter.

I have to admit I was a little surprised myself when the seller said a 10 amp solar controller would work with this. (I had assumed these panels had the typical wink, wink, nudge, nudge overoptimistic Chinese specifications, but since they're not Chinese panels, maybe that's not the case). My main concern was I wanted one shipped from the US, not China, since I didn't want to get the panel and have to wait three or four weeks on the controller. Might be ordering a larger one in the future and moving this controller to a smaller array I've got.

sparky1
# Posted: 9 Jun 2012 15:50

thanks Ray'''i'll get some--i'll have money by then
sparky1 in s.va.

sparky1
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 14:31

Solar Panel sale

http://astore.amazon.com/newworldsolar-20/detail/B007VPQP5Q

sparky1 in s.Va.
I bought (4)

fred
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 17:27

Ordered today. Hopefully it's Here before we go up in a week.

Anonymous
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 21:44

Just to keep everyone posted, started out with 704 panels and down to 420 as of Saturday morning. So you didn't miss out yet. But we do expect them to be gone by Sunday morning.

Here's the link again > 145 Watt Solar Panel only $160 includes free shipping

optimistic
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 22:08

Should I really jump on these?

buckybuck
# Posted: 1 Jul 2012 11:17 - Edited by: buckybuck

I started this thread. The panels were $140 then. Considering shipping is included, I probably would still consider it a good deal at $160. Having said that, do you need one today? That's my criteria for buying any sort of technology, because a good deal today in technology is probably not going to be a good deal even a month from now. Seldom does technology increase in price; it always goes down (excluding my $20 saving in this instance). I am very happy with my one panel, given the way I use it. I have an rv parked on my property. I can run everything I have except the microwave and AC with a deep cycle battery and this panel. I just spent a week there and the panel topped the battery off by noon every day.

sparky1
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 08:29

The (4) panels DM145,watt,,I ordered, arrived Yesterday (saturday), wow---i'm impressed. Today I'm going to get (1) out on the porch aim it to the sun, see how well it will Preform-I have the meters to do the testing.
sparky1.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 09:05 - Edited by: Sustainusfarm

I somehow feel like if I do solar I will be going back a step now that I have real electricity??!!?? I mean first I had no electric, then I had a 200 watt generator ( noisy), then I hooked up to the grid and I think I am to hooked on the grid. Any thoughts??

VTweekender
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 11:27

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
I somehow feel like if I do solar I will be going back a step now that I have real electricity??!!?? I mean first I had no electric, then I had a 200 watt generator ( noisy), then I hooked up to the grid and I think I am to hooked on the grid. Any thoughts??

More times than not, solar or generator are the only 2 options as bringing electric into a cabin from far away is just out of reach financially. You can certainly be happy with being on the grid if it didn't cost you a fortune.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 17:26

VT...I am happy on the grid...I feel guilty sometimes though because the original intent was to go solar and when grid power came in at such a cheap price ($1200) I could not pass it up....however, now I am at the mercy of someone else and have no control over various factors like cost of monthly power and power outages...Sure I can cook on a gas stove and I will have light from the leftover oil lamps, but refrigeration by refrigerator is all I know how to do now....My electric bill now at the very most is $24/ month and usually is more like $10/month. So I guess the real question for me is how badly do I want to be self sufficent??

Nirky
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 18:24

Took the plunge just ordered 4. Surprised they still had some.

neb
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 18:56 - Edited by: neb

....My electric bill now at the very most is $24/ month and usually is more like $10/month. So I guess the real question for me is how badly do I want to be self sufficent??

Remember that PC has to keep the lights on and if the transformer burns out they have to replace things at no cost. A transformer that you have costs about 1500 bucks. I understand it seems high but there is alot of hidden costs to a PC. Be thanksful you have power and not have to fight with nature and solars systems if they don't work!!! I am not bashing any energy system out there all are great but at a price also!!!!!!

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 19:29

Thanks neb....I will put my money into drilling a well for now instead...

TomChum
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 19:46

Quoting: sparky1
I have the meters to do the testing.

Hows this test going? Do you have enough sun there to tell us if they really produce 145 Watts?

saggys
# Posted: 10 Jul 2012 19:25

I will be on solar power fulltime when I get everything done. For now, I am on a temp. setup that is working. We had an estimate from the utility to bring power to the property and it was $11,000, that is why we are going solar with generator back up. If I had grid power I would not go back. To most people grid power adds value to your property. I think solar is alot more work to do it code compliant and design the system to work correctly.

Nirky
# Posted: 14 Jul 2012 14:10

Quoting: buckybuck
The box claims that it was made in Taiwan

I got my 4 panels, and if you look at your box again it says the solar cells were made in Taiwan, which I agree is a good thing.

Went to the DMSolar website (dmsolar.com) and they state they are "a USA-based solar panel manufacturer" and "member of US Green Building Council".

Under "Top Reasons to Buy from DMSolar" they state:
1) Solar Panels: Engineered in the USA with 100% U.S. content to ensure higher PTC rating
2) 120,000 sq.ft. new facility in South Florida and just-in-time warehousing facility in Fremont, California

Apparently US engineers design and Taiwan manufacturing provides the cells. It's unclear exactly where the panels are produced. Also unclear is how a panel can be "100% U.S. content" when its cells come from Taiwan. When I get around to opening a box, perhaps these questions will be answered in the directions.

sparky1
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 14:36 - Edited by: sparky1

forgot to add picture of what The panel is doing.
I am very pleased--yes the Amperage did drop off as it charged the battery. i didn't care what the OPEN circuit voltage was.
added;the battery "is new" and I had allready charged it-this is after the solar panel was on it after 1/2 hr-I had to find my camera.
DM145 watt solar  panel
DM145 watt solar panel

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 15:15 - Edited by: MtnDon

The Voc only matters when it is higher than what the attached equipment is rated for.

What voltage did the battery reach finally? 13.34 is not high enough to provide an adequate charge in any reasonable length of time. Or was that the float voltage? Voltage should be up in the 14.4 to 14.8 range when getting a good charge. (based on a 12 VDC system). My 24 VDC system regularly runs up to 29.6 volts under bright sun.

Sustainusfarm ... If I could have been connected to the grid for $1200 I'd of done that too instead of spending $8K to have a system that reliably provides all the power we need. IMO, in most places with a cheap and handy grid that saves money. What can then be done is to install a good inverter charger and a small set of batteries, along with a generator. The grid keeps the batteries up and ready thru the inverter charger. If the grid drops there would be an auto transfer switch that then supplies power from the batteries, thru the inverter to the cabin. Best is when the wiring in the cabin was installed to permit only the mission critical circuits to be powered up by the inverter... fridge / freeze, maybe furnace blower if any and a light or two. Put an auto start on the generator to have it start up when the batteries get too low. You can go for days/weeks depending on fuel. Use a propane fueled generator and have a large tank kept half full or better at all times. (I have friends in VA with such systems and they made out fine during the past storm and 9 day power outage.

Then someday add some PV panels if the power utility offers net metering. Have friends who do that too.

TomChum
# Posted: 16 Jul 2012 20:48

Quoting: MtnDon
13.34 is not high enough to provide an adequate charge in any reasonable length of time

But is it getting 7.37 amps? 13.34v x 7.37A = 98Watts. It seems to me like it's going to charge the battery if there's 7A going in.

However, the 98 Watts is a bit less than the 140W advertised. Was this test performed in full sun at around 12noon, with the panel angled directly at the sun?

. 1 . 2 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.