Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / one more solar question...
scrimshaw
# Posted: 24 Jul 2009 08:41

I've got two 80 watt solar panels producing a combo of 9.5 amps.

I need to go 50 feet from cabin to get good sun unless I cut down two big trees which I don't want to do if I don't have to.

According to voltage drop tables I can only go 25 feet without more than a 5% voltage drop.

I'm only using the cabin once/twice a week and will have four 105 aH batteries for my battery bank.

Will I be OK to house the battery bank, controller and inverter in the cabin and run the solar panels with my #8 cable or should I make a house for the battery bank, inverter and controller next to the solar panels?

Would prefer to put the battery bank, etc. at the cabin and not make a separate housing unit.

Vince P
# Posted: 24 Jul 2009 09:04

You seem to know what the drawbacks are, so it's a matter of preference. If making a house presents a security problem, then go with storage at the cabin, otherwise lessening the length of the solar panel DC wiring and runing the AC wiring from the inverter in the battery house to the cabin would be the most practical way to go.

littlesalmon4
# Posted: 31 Jul 2009 18:12

I have researched all over. The Lodge system is about the best bang for your buck that I can find.
http://www.partsonsale.com/cabins2intermediatetemp.html

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.