Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Water Tower
silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 00:49 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

My DH and son built a water tower last year for our off grid cabin. We will finish it this year with some railing,ladder and enclose the bottom for a tool shed.
Posts in place
Posts in place
Hoisting the water tank
Hoisting the water tank
A job well done
A job well done
Pumping water from the lake to water tower
Pumping water from the lake to water tower

rayyy
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 06:35

Innnnnnntrestinggg,you;ll have to keep us posted on your progress.

Bevis
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 22:56

Thats gotta be a all day event with that little pump.
At one of our old Hunting camps, we had a tower with a 500 gal tank on it. we would pump to it with a well and pump.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 23:16

It takes 30 minutes to fill the 250 gallon water tank.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Jun 2012 23:30

That small pump is rated at 28 gpm. Due to the incline and length of hose we get about 8.5 gpm. Not bad since I needed a water pump that is portable enough for a women with a back problem to carry.

Spudmasher1
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 05:06

silverwaterlady what brand pump is that? Is it 2 cycle gas? Thanks Spuds

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 29 Aug 2012 08:06

I've always wanted a water tower. I didn't follow though with it, because it won't work for our winter. I still might build it. Keep us posted.

Owen

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Sep 2012 17:47

Yes,winter does have a tendency of scewing every thing up!Although last winter was wacky and warm here in the north east.It's probably right with all those carbon fume emissions gathering in our atmosphere causing the green house effect.The north pole ice is realy melting at an alarming rate.The oceans are rising and getting warmer.We have all been experiencing strange weather.No dout about it!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 18:16 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

Bump for WY_mark.

Spudmasher1 it is a Subaru PKV101

Owen we are in Northern Ontario using our cabin in the summer so we just bring the pump home and drain the tank for winter.

We decided to build a stone structure under the water tank and put my claw foot tub there.

naturelover66
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 19:21

Love it ! Great job !!

Rossman
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 23:22

Yeah, real nice!

Those are some serious posts!!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 01:21

Make sure its enclosed. If sunlight hits that tank, all kinds of algae will grow. If its dark, problem solved.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 21:27

Bump for MJW

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 29 Jun 2013 21:33 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

No problem with algae. We add 3/4 cup of unscented Clorox bleach to the 250 gallon tank. We fill the tank twice a week.

I do this to combat algae and also to purefy the lake water. We do not use this water for drinking. It is bathing and dish water.

Jim in NB
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 07:37

Great pics - building one myself starting this weekend. 500 gallons a week seems like a lot of water for bathing and dishes though - mine will be for the same - plan on putting up a solar water heater and a shower underneath. Thanks for sharing your pics

SE Ohio
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 08:07

You need a shower head and valve on the bottom of that water tank!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 10:35 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

You can check out my shower photos on my "Our Log Cabin" thread. Plans as of this summer are to make a enclosed bathing area under the tank complete with a claw foot tub. Working on that project this summer.

jessafiddle
# Posted: 6 Jun 2014 23:16

Look up how to build a ram pump...no power needed runs itself

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 7 Jun 2014 01:22 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

I don't think 500 gallons of water per week is a lot of water for two people showering everyday at the cabin,doing dishes etc... Water keeps my camp clean. I am not going to skrimp on dish water or missing showers. The average water use per person per day is 80-100 gallons, and yes I know some of that is from flushing. I am sure you don't realize how much water you use because you just open a tap.

I do not need to conserve water as some members because I am on a freshwater lake. I don't need to truck my water in or rely on rainwater. One does not want to underestimate the amount of water needed because its pretty miserable at camp if you run out of water.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 14 Jun 2014 18:22

A close shot of our water pump
Gasoline powered water pump
Gasoline powered water pump

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 20 Jun 2014 18:25

Thanks for the link. As you can see I already have a water pump. His pipes and fittings cost more than I paid for my pump. I cannot use a system like his because of the weather. I like my pump because I can take it home being as portable as it is.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 2 Jul 2015 09:08

Update on our water tower:
Son has built steps for us. Sure will be a lot easier to get up there and safer. Will post some photos when we return from camp.

offgridjunkie
# Posted: 3 Jul 2015 13:24

How far are you pumping the water?

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 16 Jul 2015 20:26

Hi offgridjunkie,sorry I didn't respond sooner. I just saw your post. We pump it 200' from the lake and 20' up to the tower.

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 12:20

New steps built on a 6" rise making them easy to climb.
image.jpg
image.jpg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 17 Aug 2015 12:24 - Edited by: silverwaterlady

A very big deal for me,running water in the cabin!

Sorry folks. Tried to upload a short twenty second video of the water pressure in the kitchen. File is to big.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.