Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Power generated by water.........
OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 09:11 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I have a small stream running through. It actually does not run beyond my land , either up stream or down, just between swamps. and beaver ponds. I'm thinking of making a little building to look like a old mill. Only this one will charge 12 volt batts. I'm not into high tech. so I'll probably just use a car alt. Solar is probably OK but the water runs day and night , clouds or clear. Not in winter. I'll post again later if I make progress.

Owen
creek
creek

Just
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 10:58

OwenChristensen
If you have beaver they will not allow you to use their water they will plug your intake every day if need be.OF CORSE BEAVER ARE TASTY!!!

groingo
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 11:57

Looks like an excellent candidate for hydro, how is the level after heavy rains, much stream level change?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 15:00 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

It gets pretty low in late summer. The beaver are always a pain. I can't let them do their thing in that pond as the road and earthen dam might wash out. Here's how I wreck it.

Owen
dam breaking
dam breaking

exsailor
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 15:50

You will not be able to spin a car alternator fast enough to generate any power. I think small permanent magnet DC motor would be your best bet. They will generate dc voltage if the shaft is turned. Getting high enough RPM will be a problem without more research. It all depends on the operqting specs of the motor. Good luck I would love to have that kind of set up available.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 16:08

An alternaotr would work, but you'd need a lower output one. The early 37 ampre units (lester number is 7128 from the parts store) is the 37 amp unit and also has a built in regulator. You could install a larger pulley to get more spped, but the low amp units put out decent and lower speeds. The 7128 is a GM integral.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Jun 2012 17:46

I thought so. Ford has internal now too.

Owen

groingo
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 09:50

Looks like you might be better off installing a drain tube for a turbine generator which could allow you to increase head pressure (you could control drop and intake side), ultimately you and the beaver could actually work together for a more "Harmonious Outcome".

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 10:36

groingo, I'm sure you're right, but I want a cute miniature old style mill. The creek is actually a 1/4 mile from my main cabin. At this site there's just a fire pit, three season screenhouse and a out house. I don't even need power there. I suppose I could use the mill to charge and them swap batteries for the cabin.

Owen

groingo
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 12:52

Well, don't forget, Beaver have long memories and your project may look tastey to them, especially if you put it where a pre existing beaver dam has been, nothing worse than a pissed off beaver!
How bout you build a platform where people can sit and enjoy watching the beaver do their thing?

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 17:10

I love that cartoon......Angry Beavers!

I do try a get pictures on game cams of any of that type of action.

Owen
heron at beaver dam
heron at beaver dam
beaver
beaver
bear at dam
bear at dam
racoon at dam
racoon at dam

SE Ohio
# Posted: 13 Jun 2012 21:34 - Edited by: SE Ohio

http://ludens.cl/paradise/turbine/turbine.html

This South American guy put together his own power station. Great (all English) reading, and lots of pictures. I don't think his round house residence quite counts as a "small cabin".

Great volcano views on his site, too!

exsailor
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 10:07

Here is what I was able to put together after reading the South American gentleman's adventure. The man is quite the engineer, and fabricator. I must say I am envious of his abilities. Here is a primer link for hydro power http://www.canyonhydro.com/index.html . You were talking about using an old fashion water wheel. This person has all the bugs worked out http://www.waterwheelplace.com/main.html . You can use his examples and descriptions to guide your own project. Here is another site that shows hydro doesn't have to be big buck to work http://www.otherpower.com/otherpower_hydro.html . Small hydro, wind power, solar and other less known processes has always been a passion for me. I'm cheap and don't like depending on others. This is most my reference material I keep going back to enjoy and ponder

groingo
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 10:56 - Edited by: groingo

Here is a link to the Floating Power Generator which has many advantages over a fixed generator: http://www.hydro-electric-barrel.com/index.html

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 14 Jun 2012 17:23

''Little kids could be used as hampsters'' That's funny. Good info. I thought the floating water wheel had promise.

Owen

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.