Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / well questions
bhebby
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 12:32

So I got my well pumping again. Replaced the leathers on the pump and also replaced the glavanized pipe with a flexible water pipe and new foot valve. The well has sat idle for about 19 years or so. Its a large concrete tube/ culvert pipe type of well. A friend of mine who does enviro engineering for a living said to pump at least 3 full volumes of water out of it and see how the water is and test. Does anyone have any experience with these? Can/should I pour a liberal amount of bleach in there is help kill any nasties? I plan on buying a 12v pump to speed up up the process? I hope it fills up again. I am not looking for drinking water just bathing and clean up etc. thanks

sparky1
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 12:50

Have the water Tested Before you add bleach---see the condition Of what you have
then do the bleach treatment
if water is "ok" drinkable---add a good Carbon filter it should be fine for all uses.
sparky1 in s.Va.

Just
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 12:53

short answer is yes add a gallon of bleach let sit for a day, pump for a day or two . then send a sample to a good lab for a bacteria test ...make sure you have a good lid on the well, large tube wells often do not have a good lids. The lid will keep you and the bugs out of the well!!!!

bhebby
# Posted: 18 Jun 2012 13:12

I have a heavy metal plate on there now but I need to fill the void as I went from 2" to 1" on the new plastic pipe and pump. thinking of maybe spray foam or something similar. I need to research a good water test kit or a lab to send away to. thanks

groingo
# Posted: 19 Jun 2012 10:05

I'd have it tested as is un treated first then if you need to run some bleach through it.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.