Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Wood Stoves
Anonymous
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 21:43

Buying a wood stove for my cabin. The cabin is 24 x 24 with a half loft. The stove will be the only heat source. The cabin will be used summer and winter. The cabin is located outside of Talkeetna Alaska were winter temps of 0 to -30F are everyday for two months or so. I am looking into Quadra Fire, Lopi, Osburn and Jotul. Thanks for the feedback.

Just
# Posted: 25 Jun 2012 22:30

any good qualty stove will work . the problem will be to keep it cool enough in the loft to sleep without a wall to keep the heat out.I had the exact same cabin 24 x 24 with 1\2 loft and it would get very hot up there.

beachman
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 20:54

Anonymous - We have about the same set up as you describe. We purchased a top-line Pacific Energy wood stove - the Vista and it burns with a secondary chamber instead of a catalytic converter. It works great and heats the place nicely. Just is correct however in that the loft gets a little toasty. We have a dormer up there with windows that can open. If heat became an issue up there, I would consider curtains that you could close to control it. I will let you know in about a year as we have much else to finish in the meantime.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 27 Jun 2012 23:27 - Edited by: OwenChristensen

I've heated with wood most of my long life. I had a good one here at home. I don't remember the name, but it had a good seal on the door. It was made from sheetmetal not cast. It did have firebrick lining. I put a draft control in the chimney. That's not a damper. It allows room air to enter if chimey suction gets too high. It makes slow burning easier.
Just make sure you can close it up tight. Fire control is the most important. That shouldn't cost extra.
Also if the stove is tight , you can actually suffocate a chimney fire.

Owen

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 01:17

Quoting: Anonymous
I am looking into Quadra Fire, Lopi, Osburn and Jotul. Thanks for the feedback.

I have a Quadra-Fire in my home (not cabin) and after doing all the research, it burned the cleanest, loaded up, lasted the longest and because of its extra chambers, more heat out of it. I have even added the optional fan. Mine is the 3100 Millennium flat top (not stepped). It was on special at the time for $850. They go for close to $1600 now.

exsailor
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 12:15

I wonder if a sheet, blanket or canvas wall in a loft would provide enough thermal shielding to make sleeping in a loft more bearable with a wood stove. I haven't started a cabin, but it is a future issue to be addressed.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 13:29

Sure it would help. I made a floor all the way and had a trap door and fold down ladder. The trap door is closed all the time in heating season and it's still warm upstairs.

Owen

akatvn
# Posted: 28 Jun 2012 16:03

Thanks guys. I think I have it narrowed down to too. Quadra-Fire 3100 Millenium $1800 here in Anchorage, or the Lopi Republic 1750 $? Im sure it will be almost the same, was quoted on a smaller Lopi for $1100.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.