Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator Size??
sabiggs
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 19:18

Well, our generator (most likely) died on us this past weekend. It was our step-father's so this gives us an excuse to buy a new one for ourselves anyways.

My question is this:

We basically will be running two things on it, simultaneously--a 12" Dewalt Mitre Saw and a Porter Cable Air Compressor.

What size generator do you think we should get? Money is kind of an issue here, as there's a pretty large price difference between a 4000Watt generator and then anything bigger. In a perfect world, we'd get something bigger than we need, but like I said, money is kind of an issue here so we have to be economical....and unfortunately, we can't wait on this.

Thanks for the help and advice everyone.

VTweekender
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 19:36 - Edited by: VTweekender

A 4000 watt continuous with around 6000 surge will handle it..

The 12" saw should be around 15amp x 120v = 1800 watts..

A 1.5 HP compressor is usually about 10 amp x 120v = 1200 ...

Total 3000 , which is actually what a 4000 usually "actually runs at...

If you have a much larger compressor the 4000 might struggle a bit....check the amps on each tool...

TomChum
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 20:21 - Edited by: TomChum

Mitre saws run for a very short time, like 2 seconds. If you can wait until the compressor shuts off to make your cut you don't have to size a unit to run them both simultaneously.

And OTOH once the compressor is has passed its startup surge (about one second?) and is up and running maybe it can start the saw and run it while the compressor is running. If you could borrow a 2500 or 3000 and test your needs this can help a lot in your decision. Or as someone on this forum suggested, take your tools to the store and ask them if you can test their generator with the tools that you need to run.

I've downsized my generator to 2000W and am very happy with it. It's so much easier to carry around, easy to start, low gas consumption, and quiet. I would not oversize my system for the 1% of time that both machines need to startup simultaneously, just wait 2 seconds.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 29 Jun 2012 21:25

I have a 3250/3750 that has 14A breakers on outlets. My 15A mitre saw will trip them every time, unless the weather is cold (don't ask me to explain that- I can't). It will handle the load of the saw however, as long as the breakers don't trip. So make sure you whatever you get has at least 15A breakers.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 00:27

sabiggs, the Honda EU2000i will run it all! And even on "eco throttle". Just dont use the miter saw if the compressor is running, just wait for it to stop. I have the exact same compressor, it doesnt need to run long at all before it shuts off anyway.

rayyy
# Posted: 30 Jun 2012 07:24

I know some people think that bigger is better but you really need to size it to what your going to use it for.For instance,I have an old Coleman 3000 watt genny but it weighs 90 pounds,is as loud as a freight train,has to crank at 60 cycle(high rpm's)eats gas like crazy.On the other hand,I have the honda 2000 watt genny.Weighs 40 pounds runs very quiet and efficentlly.Handles all my loads as long as I only have one big power draw turned on at one time.Microwave or table saw or vaccuum cleaner,toaster.Smaller stuff like the tv or computer,fan,radio,lights doesn't matter,you can run all them at the same time.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.