Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Generator - hooked to the grid
pondjumpr
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 15:42 - Edited by: pondjumpr

I was reading a little bit about the options for solar power and have my hands (or head) around the off-grid power supply via solar panels. I understand how to "bank" power in batteries for off-grid use but help me understand something about solar panels tied to the grid.
If the panels produce excess power, above and beyond that of what is used, it goes into or "onto" the power grid. In most cases, the meter spins backwards (maybe) and the power company actually buys that power back from you. However, what happens to the power created by the panels if their is a disconnection from the grid?

I was thinking about it over the last few days while so many people have been out of power and thought that if I had a cabin with grid power but also some solar power, what would happen, if I had no battery bank, to the power if the lines were down or if the power were off? Would it cause problems for the power company linemen much int he same way as an improperly installed generator, causing a "dead" line to become charged?
Also, what if I am away from my property when this happens or if my main line coming in is the one that is down?

Just a few things that I was checking on that I can't seem to figure out.
Thanks in advance and if this was covered elsewhere, I apologize.

PJ

VTweekender
# Posted: 2 Jul 2012 17:11

A grid tie inverter is used for that type system, the inverter has to be tied to the grid for it to work, when the grid shuts down the inverter recognizes that and shuts down the solar system..

pondjumpr
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 13:05

Thank you. I figured it was fairly simple but was not sure.
I have access to power at my cabin site but like the idea of solar for supplemental power source and/or just for the "SHTF" scenario.
I had always looked into a seperate switch system and running 12v or possibly inverted 110v off a battery bank. I started looking at soem larger systems where I could possibly sell some of the power generated back to the utility company. I will nto be at the cabin more than a few weeks a year and maybe just a few more weekends. I would like to utilize the system for something other than charging bateries while I am not there.

VTweekender, thanks again for the response. I will read up a little more on the solar grid tie inverter. I am sure I overlooked it in my brief reading thus far.

VTweekender
# Posted: 3 Jul 2012 17:20

If the investment in a large system with intentions of selling back to the grid had even a chance to be profitable, everyone would be doing it. Everyone is not doing it, your money sitting in the bank getting 1% interest is more than selling power back to the grid.

pondjumpr
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 16:15

I never considered it to be a profitable option. I was just thinking that if I am only going to be there a small portion of the time and can get a small portion of my power, maybe all, paid for, it might be a good reason to do it.
You are right, however. I am not sure it makes any sense to have generator either if you are hooked to the grid but I bet 99% of the generators sold are sold to people with AC lines coming to their home.
Many for the "cool what-if" factor and many for just in case.

I would like solar for a little of both and thought tying to the grib might be a way to help re-imburse for SOME of the expense.

VTweekender
# Posted: 5 Jul 2012 16:42

I do understand where you are coming from, but in all reality a good grid tie inverter that wont give you tons of trouble would actually cost you more than you could get back from them in 30 years, never mind the remainder of the system, even if it could get you back the $10 minimum charge per month they whack you just for being on the grid (which would take about a 2000 watt panel system) it doesnt add up at all....Better off just calculate what solar power you will need according to what you will be running, and use an off-grid system, with only occasional use of the cabin you may only need a small investment into a system.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.