Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Running the risk (diy septic)
optimistic
# Posted: 7 Jul 2012 20:33

I plan to have a diy septic which is a big no-no. NY State.

What can happen? worst case scenario?

TomChum
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 01:41

How far to the nearest stream? Do you know how far down the water table is? It would be very uncool to pollute peoples wellwater. I would ask around "how deep the neighbors wells are", thats an innocent enough question that might get the info you need without divulging your intentions.

Also do/will you have a well or water source? What are you planning to "put" in this septic? Trailer dumps? Basically a DIY septic should be pretty safe if all the water its ever going to get is less than what you've carried in.

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 07:36

i have a DYI at my old cabin for over 20 years---never had a problem---and was down hill from the well--remember water and s___t runs downhill...

optimistic
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 08:15

I plan to run one toilet into it. That's it. The two sinks and shower will run into a grey water leeching field.

I will not move the trailer. I will hook the toilet right into the septic.

VTweekender
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 08:25

NY is a no-no is right....."unlawful discharge of sewage" is a felony....Tom hit it right on the head...if the system fails and it makes its way to water, big trouble could be in store....see the first article on this recent case and what happened to Mr White when it ran into a river.. http://www.outdoornews.com/May-2012/New-York-Cuffs-Collars-May-18th-2012/ .......so the story is...make darn sure its built right and it works...and periodicaly pumped out..

Anonymous
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 18:44

Worse case for you is that you will spend a lot of money for a lawyer, fines and time in prison.

neb
# Posted: 8 Jul 2012 18:48

Quoting: turkeyhunter
well--remember water and s___t runs downhill...

TH
I was always taught that water runs any direction poo runs down hill. LOL

groingo
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 14:23

How bout simply installing a holding tank and have it pumped out as required, that way nothing nasty leaves the property?

If you're just there for short bits like weekends, maybe a small holding tank you can take with you and properly dispose of?

TomChum
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 14:43 - Edited by: TomChum

Your question was "worst case" - I don't know if that should be the deciding factor. Related issues are:
1) maybe polluting the area groundwater for years (this is one of the worst cases)
2) getting caught and putting you on a "watch list" at your county for other 'offenses'
3) pissing off your neighbors that you need for friends
4) have to worry about who might know, or who you can tell about your system
5) being unable to relax at your 'retreat' (may be a most likely to happen WORST CASE)

Quoting: groingo
installing a holding tank and have it pumped out as required

I just called the local pumping service and the phone girl said they charge $25 to pump out an outhouse, but can't promise "down to the clean dirt". If I knew that I'da put a liner in at the bottom, like a big bucket. $25 is very reasonable. I've used my outhouse 2 years and I think it will go another 2 before needing pumped out. I'm certain that they will add a 'remote charge' for the 2nd time they come but that'll be in 2016!

Look around for a company that rents porta-potties in your area. They need to pump used porta-potties out during events, and at the end, before transporting the potties back to their facility. For this job, they often have smaller pump-trucks that can drive easily to where the potties are, for example during a 'peopled' event. I'm looking into this too.

I BET if you ask the county, they will still tell you this is not allowed, but in any case you won't be polluting, and your conscience will be clear too. I guess it all depends if you have these companies in your area.

The cost of a small septic would probably cost more than pumping out for many years.

VTweekender
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 15:47

I agree totally with a holding tank and having it pumped out... If you are going to do something not allowed, thats the thing to do as nothing gets polluted and would probably just be a small fine if caught, plus having to remove the holding tank.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 18:30

My outhouse has a 75 gallon rubbermaid stock tank buried under it and we went 7 yrs before it needed the first pump out! We are at the cabin two weekends per month year round!

TomChum
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 18:33 - Edited by: TomChum

Great info! How many people there?

(and do they all #1 like girls? )

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 9 Jul 2012 18:47

Quoting: TomChum
Great info! How many people there?

(and do they all #1 like

Two people and No comment.....lol

optimistic
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 19:09

That's a great idea! I will defiantly look into that.

Who do I call to get 'pump out' quote?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 19:13 - Edited by: Sustainusfarm

We call them the "honey wagons" here!
I suspect a septic pump out company would do it or if you call the phone number on any porta-jon I'm sure they do it too....Mine cost $100 to pump and inspect.

VTweekender
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 19:25 - Edited by: VTweekender

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
My outhouse has a 75 gallon rubbermaid stock tank buried under it and we went 7 yrs before it needed the first pump out! We are at the cabin two weekends per month year round!

Just solids going in there Sustainus? Cant imagine 75 gallons holding 7 years with any fluids in there.

Opti, you wanted a flush system with rainwater if I remember correctly? If so, you will need a standard 500 gallon tank or larger...

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 19:36

Quoting: VTweekender
Just solids going in there Sustainus?

Believe it or not...its black water directly from seat to tank...#1, #2 and toilet paper!! I am due again to be pumped, however, it is nowhere close to full. Only doing it because the new county rules say that if you have a septic tank it needs to be pumped out every two years and be inspected..another $100 fee!!

TomChum
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 19:55 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: optimistic
Who do I call to get 'pump out' quote?

Quoting: TomChum
Look around for a company that rents porta-potties in your area. They need to pump used porta-potties out during events, and at the end, before transporting the potties back to their facility. For this job, they often have smaller pump-trucks that can drive easily to where the potties are, for example during a 'peopled' event. I'm looking into this too.

......just giving u a little s**t

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 12 Jul 2012 20:12

I thought this was pertinent....
HAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHA

optimistic
# Posted: 15 Jul 2012 17:24

Yup. I do want to have a flush system from rainwater.
I was thinking of using one or two of these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330-GALLON-LIQUID-STORAGE-TANK-/330761818433?pt=LH_DefaultDom ain_0&hash=item4d02f0d141&_uhb=1#ht_258wt_67

I want to have a leeching field for my grey-water though. So this will only take the toilet. If I will use a 1.6g flush toilet and try to do #1 outdoors as much as possible (maybe I should keep this tidbit to myself ;) ). I am estimating I will reach the 300 gallon mark in a little over a year.

creeky
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 14:25

I can't comment on diy black water legalities, but this system impressed me.

http://www.wikihow.com/Construct-a-Small-Septic-System

Good luck

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.