Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / reverse cooler
shippingconex
# Posted: 23 Aug 2009 22:36

I just bought a 45 watt solar panel kit from Harbor Freight and plan to use one of the panels to keep a large ice cooler from freezing.

My concern is that during the cold winter, my canned food might freeze and either burst or let bacteria into the cans. My cabin is actually a refurbished shipping container which is located at 5000 foot elevation in Central Nevada.

I plan to store the cans in a large cooler, and use the solar panel to power a resistive load, located in the bottom of the cooler. My target powered load will be 5 watts. I will periodically check the temperature and adjust the load as required.

Anyone have any other suggestions on keeping foods from freezing?

Thanks.

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 27 Aug 2009 23:18 - Edited by: CabinBuilder

Quoting: shippingconex
I will periodically check the temperature and adjust the load as required.

Yo can easily miss a cold night and that's enough to freeze and burst glass gars, etc.
I'd go for some sort of automatically regulated temperature.

Tin cans store easily over the cold winter at my cabin, but many foods go bad after being frozen (i.e. we couldn't eat canned tuna salad after it was frozen during winter).

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.