Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Generator
Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Aug 2009 21:41

I am planning on building a 16x16 cabin on my hunting lease. I don't want to go through the trouble of running electric so I'm planning on getting a generator. I'm planning on having 2 lights and 2-3 outlets inside just to run a small heater or small AC unit and other very small items (charger, tv/dvd, etc). What size generator do you think would be enough to supply power for this? I was thinking a 5000 watt one would be ok but i still need power to run a miter saw. Thanks

Moontreeranch
# Posted: 11 Oct 2009 11:10

Trouble with the big power tools is they suck a lot of juice...I got a 5000 watt gen to run the compressor (for the nail gun) and to run my chop saw and circular saw...the compressor is the biggest user needing 4500 to start...the saws are quite a bit less.

thing with running a gen for TV etc is the Noise and the fact that these loads are small (you could run them off a 1000 to 2000 watt) some of tehe real quiet one are the Honda EU's the run at about 58-59 decibels

Im using my gen just for the build and will put in a 80 Watt PV system for LED light etc.

lawnjocky
# Posted: 13 Oct 2009 09:28

Generator noise drives me crazier. I just use mine for power tools and I shut it off asap. If you are going to hunt the area you might want to give the noise factor some thought.

Jocko

Hunter12
# Posted: 18 Jan 2010 16:12

I have had a couple og generators. The first was a 5000 watt unit that built my cabin. It is now pretty much dead. My second one is the Honda 3000 or 3500 watt. This will handle all your needs as well as your power tools. (Not all at once.) This unit is also the best for running sensitive electronics such as my ham radios.

Did I mention whisper quiet and remote start/shutdown with a key thing from the cabin. Will run a long time.

Good luck!

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 28 Feb 2010 19:02

Quoting: Moontreeranch
some of tehe real quiet one are the Honda EU's the run at about 58-59 decibels

59 is full power. With the eco throttle on, it u ses an inverter, so no need to run 3600 rpm to get you the 60hz, it tapers down to just over an idle and running a TV, the noise level would be closer to about 42 db. I bought the Hinda EU2000i, and the EU6500is, both are rated for the exact same noise level. I wont own any other type of generator after owning these. I had a Generac etc. no more.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.