Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / What do you use as a battery bank box? Is it outdoors?
rugercpl
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 17:20

I'm wondering how and where people are storing their solar equipment (batteries, controllers, inverters)....inside, outside, in a closet, in a deck box, on shelves....etc. haven't seen any pics yet but I'm new here. Thx

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 17:46

Flooded wet cell lead-acid batteries belong outside, or in an enclosure that is acid proof and vented to the exterior if there is a need to place them inside. Ours are outside. Because of cold weather the battery capacity is reduced, so we have a third more capacity than if the batteries were at 77 F all the time.

Inverters should be close to the batteries, but not above them or in the same sealed box/room as the batteries. Ditto for charge controllers.
Controllers and inverters have an operating temperature range. That may help determine where they are placed. Inverters also make noise, hum, so for that reason alone I like them outside. Our CC is outside too. Three separate locked compartments, CC, batteries, Inverter/charge.

creeky
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 14:21

I have a separate shed for the electrical. the batteries are in a box that is vented through the roof and has additional insulation.
I have a smaller system that uses a plastic camping box for the batteries. This way I can move the system anywhere I need a bit of power for lights etc.

groingo
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 17:32

Mine is in a heavily insulated and vented box just outside the building, it has a heat vent powered by a computer power supply fan which is thermostatically controlled and draws miniscule power while pumping heated air into the battery box from the house when needed.

sparky1
# Posted: 30 Jul 2012 20:36 - Edited by: sparky1

I built a very sturdy Wood rack for my (3) 4D battery's they each sit in a acid resistant tray (granger) incase a possible boil over, fresh water and baking soda on site as well as paper towels rubber gloves,Getting a face shield this week. the (4) group 27 battery's top shelf,same system of things. in my basement free from extreme temps.I did buy 12 volt Battery Blankets for them "if the temp drops below 40 degrees..i live in southern VA.coldest ever here was minus 6 degrees.
Battery rack-solar system.
Battery rack-solar system.
battery tray
battery tray

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.