Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar panel mounting
customrunner
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 19:04

Lets see how you mounted your panels, Im just about ready to mount my panels and was thinking of pole mounted to the top of my c-can but would love to get some more ideas befor I commit...
Thanks Chad

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 20:32

I used a Unirac pole top mount.

The array from the backside, not yet tilted

Ground fitting and connection.from uppermost panel to the middle panel. The wire is continuous from here to the ground rods.

Mounting clips slide in a t-rail. Rail on right, panels on left. The Unirac is sized to the brand and number of panels. No holes to drill.

GomerPile
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 21:33

That's a sweet setup. How much did that set you back?

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 22:07 - Edited by: MtnDon

The rack was something like $500 - 550 with all hardware needed to mount the three 208 watt panels. The pole is old drill pipe from the oil fields; $40 with about 5 feet in the ground. 10 bags of Quikrete, IIRC. Ground clips extra.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 08:23 - Edited by: SE Ohio

I used pressure treated wood to make a tilt-able solar mount that bolts to the cabin. The angle adjusts (manually) up and down for the sun angle/season. Short DC run to charge controller and cabin.

Panels/controller are from Harbor Freight. 45W is enough to charge deep cycle battery for my lights/stereo.

Picture shows battery charging outdoors to keep outgassing outdoors. Might change to indoor setup with vent tube in future.
Cheap solar mount
Cheap solar mount

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.