Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / rain water...what do you use it for?
rugercpl
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 19:41

cooking? cleaning? showering?

How do you keep it fresh if it hasnt rained much or in a while?

Also, how are you handling overflow when it does rain a lot and the barrel fills up? if the one i plan to have fills up and overflows, it will spill out onto my deck along the side of the cabin. the cabin is above ground with a bit of a downhill slope, but id like to devise a way to divert it further away from the side of the cabin

countryred
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 20:01

My idea is to run it into an underground cistern tank from the barrels. You could run it through some under ground pipe to farther down the hill.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Jul 2012 20:37

Irrigation only at present.

Storage for personal and cabin uses runs into the problem of carrying the water through the winter without freeze damaging the tankls, piping and other equipment.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 16:12

I rely on rain for my water, i live at my cabin year round. i use it for watering crops, showers, dishes, drinking, etc. I treat with Solar UV or a .02 micron filter for drinking. i have 5 barrels out and usually i have no overflow since i use it too quick. though i do keep 5 gallon jugs on hand to store for later use. in winter i keep a barrel near the wood stove, it stores less in winter but a 55 gallon drum of hot water takes a long time to cool down so it helps radiate heat after the fire dies out. only need to run the stove 2 times a day at most this past winter (Live near Canada)

Just
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 21:52

Look back in some of the older threads in this catigory lots of what you want .

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 29 Jul 2012 23:10

Washing, showering, watering garden and plants.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.