Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / how would you employ a washer/dryer combo? Solar? Propane?
rugercpl
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 16:00

I have several "phases" in mind for upgrading my cabin, and a washer/dryer combo if possible is one of them down the road. I haven't yet figured out how yet, and what is required. If it's too ambitious, then i may also go old-school and use a hand washing system, but i'd like to know what it takes to run an RV style washer dryer combo. What I haven't a clue yet about is feeding the washer and dryer from a fresh water tank positioned near it in the bathroom, and how water would be pumped to it for each cycle. Also, how much electric is required of it, and how fortified my solar power system will have to be in order to have enough power to run it. If anyone has any experience in this topic, please share. Thanks

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 16:36

I bought a Haier (brand)HWD1000.It's a combonation washer/'dryer all in one.Run's on 110 volt(my generator)It works good but it doesn't hold a lot of cloths.And to be honest with you I have never used the drying cycle yet.I just hang cloths out on a cloth line to dry.I kind of wished I'd just bought a full size front load washer instead.They are very efficiant on water and run on 110 also.Oh well,live and learn!

MJW
# Posted: 28 Jul 2012 22:05

We rented an apt in Paris while we lived there and it had one of the dual washer/dryers that are popular in Europe. I believe it was a Haier as well.

You place your clothes in the front loader and it can run through the wash cycle and dry or just the wash and you can line dry.

They are very energy efficient, use a small amount of water and take up limited space. They also do not require venting so they can be moved to any area of the house including a closet.

While the drying cycle leaves something to be desired (the clothes always seemed to come out slightly damp to me) I believe this will be the way we go when we build our place as we plan on being 100% solar.

The prices seem to have dropped on the models we looked at from over $1100 to less than $600 and their reviews were quite good on dependability.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.