Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Satellite TV
allantg
# Posted: 2 Aug 2012 19:57

Have an off grid solar powered system in NB, Canada. Would like to have satellite TV. Can anyone with experience in this area contact me and advise how to get started? Thanks.

Giles

CabinBuilder
Admin
# Posted: 3 Aug 2012 10:58

Just contact the satellite company, buy and install dish & receiver. They usually come to your place and install it.
You can use Bell (Canadian), Dish Network or others (USA). You need to provide US address/payment info if you want US networks, you can get their signals in (most of) Canada.

Also, there is a free 'crack' way, when you buy a generic 'unlocked' satellite receiver and apply hacks to its firmware, etc. However, this is quite technically involved and technology is constantly changing. This is also considered illegal, however people argue that if anything comes to their property, even if it's a radio signal, they are entitled to keep and use it. It's like, if someone throws Blockbuster tapes at your doorstep every day - is it illegal to pick it up and watch it?

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 4 Aug 2012 00:31

Do you have satelite at home?? if so tell the provider you want to take your reciever on the road with you in your RV...get a used receiver and dish off craigslist and install at your cabin,,,it costs an additional $5/ month to have another reciever in your "RV"....There are easy directiond for installing and pointing your own dish to get a signal...I have never done this myself until the first time doing it at the cabin and the dish, once it was mounted on the cabin, took about 5 minutes to point and I had 200 channels for $5 per month!!
I actually use it more for weather reports and storm warnings....

rayyy
# Posted: 6 Aug 2012 07:54

My kid's keep suggesting I get Dish tv with internet service.Maybe next year.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.