Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / My power situation...is off-grid possible?
Pariah
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 21:25 - Edited by: Pariah

I have a DVD (which I can't find at the moment -- I'll return with details) made by a family in Missouri who has a fully off-grid house with normal appliances, computers, TVs, fridge, etc etc and claims to have built their house and solar set up for something like $20k. The more I research, the more skeptical I get...maybe living in a low cost of living area is helping them? I live in Maryland (high COL).

My situation is that I need some conveniences for work (computer, internet) and others (toilet, fridge) because my son and I would be living in our self-built house full time and I'd like it to be relatively "normal" so he can have friends over and not be considered the school freak show or anything like that. :P We don't require as much as the "average" family (we have one little tv, no cable, just Netflix) but I've used some things requiring power in order to declutter others (like purchasing Kindle books on my computer in order to declutter my once-massive book collection).

I'm not opposed to DIYing our solar system (the DVD I mentioned had a DIY system, showed all of their batteries set up, etc)...I definitely don't need one of the extremely expensive, custom installs by a $$$$$ solar company. But I know this won't be cheap either way.

I'm in the budgeting/planning phase of our house and this seems like it is going to be my biggest obstacle. Based on my current two bedroom, nearly 900 sq ft apartment I would need 7444 kw (edited to add that this is while also living with someone who has no concept of conserving power, and our self built home would be smaller of course).

So, I know it is possible to get the power I need, but is it possible to do so in a DIY fashion that won't cost tens of thousands of dollars?

VTweekender
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 21:47 - Edited by: VTweekender

Quoting: Pariah
Based on my current two bedroom, nearly 900 sq ft apartment I would need 7444 kw

this number would be for month? year? I would assume its a year but don't want to assume.

can you live without A/C and clothes dryer?

can you use only propane for cooking?

what would be your hot water source?

what would be your heating source?

GomerPile
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 22:15

Will you have a town water or well? Septic or public sewer hookup?

Internet and computer are not that much power if you use a laptop. Look into fridges by Sundanzer which are very efficient.

Trying to use standard AC appliances on solar is a trap IMO. There are a lot more efficient appliances made for off grid applications (fridge is a good example). Think of your power system not just as panels and batteries but the appliances and everything else you need to power.

Sure you can power a $100 fridge from PV panels and batteries but it uses 30 times the power of a off grid fridge. You can either spend money on panels and bigger batteries, OR spend money on a more efficient fridge and use fewer panels.

You can build a very good PV system for $5K. A bottom of the barrel system can be done for less than $1000 if you are handy and can buy used stuff on ebay.

MJW
# Posted: 13 Aug 2012 22:56

Pariah,

I would be very interested in learning more about this DVD.

My family and I are in the planning stages of our place and in MO, where we are leaning toward at the moment, just the well and septic are looking to be in the 8k range due to the depth needed to drill for water.

I, too, am planning a 100% off the grid place and with current prices for solar am looking at 12 to 15k for the array and batteries we will need to live as close to a "normal" life as possible.

The cabin we are planning will be in the 800 to 1000 sq foot range with us doing 90% of the work. I am confident we can get this done for under 10k putting our total budget for the place at around 30k not including the land.

If it can be done for 20k or less I would certainly be interested in learning more about it!

Pariah
# Posted: 14 Aug 2012 15:37

Thank you for all the info and points to think about! I have to get ready for work but I'll come back with a better response shortly. I appreciate the replies!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.