Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Running cabin off Generator?
Borrego
# Posted: 15 Aug 2012 22:01

Haven't seen this addressed and I know some of you are electricians so here's a question:

If I want to run my cabin off my generator until I get solar, how do I hook up the generator to the cabin? I have a typically wired cabin with 4 separate circuits run into a 100A panel.
I looked this up online and they all talk about doing this with a home that is also hooked up to power grid and all they talk about is a transfer panel. Will I need one of these? I'm guessing yes because I'll need to separate the eventual solar system from the generator, right?
Thanks for the input...

241comp
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 09:29

No, you do not need a transfer switch (at least, not at the moment). For now, you just need a power inlet box (something like this) which you can wire to the supply side of your 100A panel.

justincasei812
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 09:37

I actually hard wired my generator into a service panel. I still use a plug at the end of the generator so the generator is mobile when needed for servicing. I grounded both the generator and the panel. I purchased a remote for the generator and now it's power/ no power at the press of a button. The cabin runs like any other place that is on the grid. If you plan on putting in solar then have a plan for the transfer switch at a later time. Basically do the work now for the future if possible.

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 17:24

Quoting: 241comp
you just need a power inlet box (something like this) which you can wire to the supply side of your 100A panel.

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know...

Quoting: justincasei812
I grounded both the generator and the panel.

I assume I can use the same ground rod for both?

Quoting: justincasei812
If you plan on putting in solar then have a plan for the transfer switch at a later time.

Would the transfer switch go between the generator and the inlet box or between generator and panel?

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 21:27

One ground rod should be sufficient. Put it in the ground near your panel and run a #4 copper wire from the rod to the panel. Bond your neutral and ground at this point as it should be considered your first disconnecting means.

The transfer switch should have 2 "ins" or primaries and one "out" or secondary. You want to feed the panel from the secondary side and run the generator power to one of the primary feeds. Later on when you get solar set up (or grid power) you hook it up to the other primary of the transfer switch.

I accomplished this on the cheap by making a cord that hangs out of my main panel that is outside and then fits in the twist lock receptacle on my generator . When I want generator power I plug it into the generator. When I use my solar panels I plug it into the solar panels cord that I made especially for the purpose.

Hope that helps out.

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 21:31

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
Hope that helps out.

heck yes.....
Thanks!

Borrego
# Posted: 16 Aug 2012 22:19

Quoting: Bzzzzzt
The transfer switch should have 2 "ins" or primaries and one "out" or secondary. You want to feed the panel from the secondary side and run the generator power to one of the primary feeds. Later on when you get solar set up (or grid power) you hook it up to the other primary of the transfer switch.

Would you be able to get me a picture of this? Thanks!

justincasei812
# Posted: 17 Aug 2012 11:42

Borrego

Responding off of your quote I am sure (not an electrician though) you could use one grounding rod for both (as Bzzzzzt stated). My generator is about 90ft from the cabin behind a shed (lessens the noise). So I used two grounding rods. I think I paid about $10 for each rod and no mor than $10 for the wire. Make sure you are using the proper rated wire going from the generator to the box. Mine cost about $350. You don't want the wire to over heat and cause a meltdown/ fire/ or anything else. I buried my wire so it had to be outdoor rated as well.

Bzzzzzt
# Posted: 17 Aug 2012 13:56

Borrego: I'm on my phone right now and I'm headed to my cabin right after work so getting a picture isn't really an option for me until Sunday night. You might google how to hook up a transfer switch and come up with something that should accomidate you suficiantly. You can email me smorkle AT yahoo dot com and I'll be happy to answer any questions for ya electrical wise. I am a licensed master electrician in 2 states.

MtnDon
# Posted: 19 Aug 2012 16:03

I would not bother with getting and installing a transfer switch until it was needed. Some inverters like my Outback VFX3524M have an automatic transfer switch built in.

rayyy
# Posted: 3 Sep 2012 18:11

Hooking your 120 volt system to your generator is fine as long as you only plug in stuff to run that won't exceed you generators wattage output.I have 14 outlets hooked to my generator all in 12 guage standard wireing, but I'm carfull about what I run.If I'm running my vaccuum cleaner or microwave or toaster,I can't have any other gaget running at the same time.Low wattage stuff such as the computer or tv,radio can be ran at the same time with no problem.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 09:16

I run my cabin off my little Honda EU2000i. I wired in a 20 amp plug (12AWG wire) on the porch. Then built me a "dead mans cord" which has 2 male ends. I plug one end tot he generator, other into my porch plug. Of course, this only feeds one side of my panel which would have line 1 and line 2 service coming in. So I ran a jumper across the input lugs to tie the 2 legs together. I used 10AWG wire. Ir runs everything. I use CFL bulbs to just free up extra current. Gennie idles for about 10 hour on a single tank of fuel.

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Sep 2012 10:43

If you are going to do that remember why it is called a "dead man's cord". Anyone disconnecting the wrong end while the generator runs may be killed if they touch the exposed prongs. Personally I would not want to take the chance of injuring or killing someone else, or myself for that matter. I suppose I might do this in some emergency situation, but it would have to be serious. The proper sockets are available and don't really cost that much when compared to potential consequences. To each their own though.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.