Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Heating options...
<< . 1 . 2 .
MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 20:39

Quoting: mojo43
Does this mean that i won't have to deal with flaring?

Flexible gas lines use flared fittings but the are adapters to make them mate with threaded pipe fittings. Gas codes I am familiar with only permit threaded pipe fittings and flared fittings.

mojo43
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 20:47

Ok, how do I find out more about how to install this heater to a bbq propane tank? I ordered it online and am in Canada. I don't want to screw up the installation.

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 21:12 - Edited by: MtnDon

Quoting: mojo43
bbq propane tank?

You will most likely encounter some problems if you use something like the standard 20 lb "bbq" propane cylinder as a supply. Propane changes from the liquid state to the gaseous state slower and slower as the temperature drops. It also slows as a tank becomes less full. That means a small cylinder like the 20 lb will reach a point where it can not supply sufficient volume to meet the demands of the appliance. Here's a chart that may help...

That's for a cylinder a quarter full. At 0 degrees F the 20 lb cylinder can supply 7500 BTU. Check the specs on the heater; it has a maximum input of 8000 BTU. So at zero that would just be able to function. The specs also state a minimum input of 5000 BTU is required. So a 25% full tank will become inadequate at -10 F. A larger tank is one solution; 100 lbs work well. Another solution would be multiple 20# cylinders hooked up with a parallel manifold.

The actual installation is not difficult for anyone well versed in plumbing connections. Cutting the hole through the wall is easiest with an appropriate sized hole saw and a drill motor.

mojo43
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 21:35

i could use a bigger tank, but the part that I am worried about is the installation of the propane tank to the heater. I don't know how to flange a copper pipe. Maybe I should google it and go from there. Or maybe it is too hard for me to do? I am kind of looking for someone to chime in about having done this installation themselves??

MtnDon
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 22:05

You need a flare tool. A good one, not a cheap import.
You need to size the line properly... a large enough inside diamter... the installation manual has a chart.
I've done this sort of thing many times even having installed the bigger 18K Housewarmer heater.

The dark grey thing is called a union. It makes it easier to dismantle the heater if necessary at some future date. So far not needed, but I look ahead wherever possible.

mojo43
# Posted: 16 Sep 2012 07:59

Thanks a lot for the pictures it will really help when I go to install this.

Kate
# Posted: 8 Oct 2012 19:45

I'm investigating heaters for the bathroom in our off-grid cabin. Has anyone tried radiant heating systems such at this:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUV1RK/?tag=smacab-20&hvadid=15469541979&hvpos=1o3&hvexi d=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=793972391054772232&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B000BUV1RK

Advantages or disadvantages? The price is good...

Thanks for any advice.

mojo43
# Posted: 9 Oct 2012 07:41

So I checked around to have someone install the propane line on my wall mounted propane unit and it is going to cost me more than $400! Wow, I never thought that it would cost that much. That's pretty much what I paid for the unit itself. I guess pays to have something safely installed...

mojo43
# Posted: 9 Oct 2012 07:45

I was just checking around. Can I use this product to assemble to my wall mounted vented heater??

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-SL-1C-Pressure-Propane/dp/B00004Z2FM/ref=pd_sim_auto _4/189-0353357-2398534

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.