Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Tent trailer propane heater
mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 12:19

Before I buy something, I was wondering how viable it would be to tear out a vented propane heater from a pop up trailer to install it in a 108 square foot cabin? Possible? Worth it or should I just spend the 5-600 dollars on a new one? H anyone done this before?

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 12:45

Before you tear one out, google the model and find out if there were any issues/recalls. We purchased a 1978 Argosy trailer with a Suburban heater that had been recalled years ago.

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 12:50

Good point. I havent looked at it yet, but I called the rv place top price them out and they are 800 bucks new. I figure that we don't use the one in our trailer so might as well save some money if it's possible. Of course I would like it to be safe though

VTweekender
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 18:37

Should work if its vented, but it may require electric as well for the igniter, where the models you were looking at don't require electric, they run the igniter on batteries..

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 18:41

Ya I think mine needs a battery for the fan. Maybe the igniter as well. I wonder if there is a way to ignite it without a battery. I guess I could bring one up as well, but that would be more of a hassle. I only tried the heater once and I was hooked up to electrical. There is no electrical at the cabin unfortunately...

VTweekender
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 18:50

I do remember you said you were off grid, you mention it may need a battery for the igniter, which means its running 12 volt? or is it running through an inverter to 110v....don't really need the fan so not a big deal there.

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 19:01

I don't understand electrical very well. There is definitely a switch on the camper that can use electrical or battery. I am not sure if this is an inverter, but I would assume so? I think it can run off of either one. I am off grid at the moment. I am more concerned with needing the battery to start it. I am not sure how they typically run, but I have read that some need the battery to run all together even if I don't need to use the fan?

VTweekender
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 19:10

Most likely you have an inverter in the camper that converts the 12v from the battery to 110v and your appliances run 110.....in any case you will need an electrical setup to run that heater...where in the other case...the heaters you were looking at like the Empire are non-electric models designed to run off grid...I think there is small batteries in them ignite the furnace, best if rechargable batteries.

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 19:14

Oh I see so you are saying that I need the inverter as well to run the heater?

VTweekender
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 19:21 - Edited by: VTweekender

Unless the heater runs on 12v which a battery would be 12v...you need an inverter hooked to the battery to convert the 12v to 110v...you could just fully charge a deep cycle 120 amp hour battery and get something like a 800 watt inverter and you would be in biz....for a weekend anyway.....you would have 2 110 plugs coming from the inverter...you could run something else small as well...like a 13 watt CFL bulb in a small lamp....or a 8" LCD TV with antenna....charge cell etcc..etc..

mojo43
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 19:28

Thanks, I am really lost on this electrical stuff. Computers, music no problem. Electrical, I have no idea!

Anyhow, that sounds fairly easy. Hopefully the inverter doesn't cost too much. I'll find out more tomorrow when I check out the trailer...

VTweekender
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 19:33

The deep cycle battery you can get anywhere local, wallymart about $100....the inverter make sure you get a "modified sine wave"...in case you want to use electronics on it as well, a regular sine wave inverter is not compatible with electronics...like a LCD TV...or laptop etc...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 20:23

Most RV appliances like the furnace run on 12V, the "converter" knocks down 110VAC to 12VDC, plus charges the battery bank and acts as a 12V power supply for everything else.

I installed a Suburban RV furnace I bought new for my enclosed trailer, it consumes 2.9 amps running. Has no pilot, starts with a ignition arc and runs even when battery is real low. You would want the blower or it would overheat and would shut down automatically and wouldnt heat well without circulation.

Just
# Posted: 31 Aug 2012 20:44

if yours has a fan and needs power to start i would not use it it takes far too much power if you are off grid, if you can find one from a pre 1975 trailer they need no power at all. just a vent to the outside ....thats what bushbunky has .

bushbunkie
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 20:17

yup, Gravity RV furnace from Coleman...no electricity required.
Bugs just installed a new gravity furnace. This one has a blue flame and looks sweet! Check his link.
How are you keeping, Just?

Just
# Posted: 1 Sep 2012 20:58

need a change in the weather bunky ,hope you need that furnace soon. looking forward to hunting season, deer season opens in 29 days, duck season on sept 22 ,goose in a few days.

mojo43
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 09:03

I was going to tear out the furnace, but it looks like it needs battery. Oh well I guess I'll just buy one new. Thanks for all of the help!

VTweekender
# Posted: 2 Sep 2012 10:27

Probably is a 12v system as mentioned by toyota_mtd, and not running off an inverter like possibly thought. Best is what you are thinking now, get a new one for off grid.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.