Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Driving a sand point well
Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 22:28

Hi all...Thinking that the $5500 to have a well drilled is a bit steep for now and I was thinking about driving a sand point!! Sounds easy enough to do...we have all sand and very little gravel if any at all...I plan to use a post hole digger to get as deep as I can then use a 60-80lb jack hammer with a cup attachment on the end to drive the well....anyone ever done this and have any pointers????

larry
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 22:45

look at you tube. i found many interesting videos.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 22:49

Larry, I looked yesterday on youtube and I did not find anything that really showed me anything I had not seen already...was hoping for some first hand experience, specifically with the jack hammer method...thanks though

larry
# Posted: 5 Sep 2012 22:51

sorry, i have none. we are blessed with a flowing well and i just pump it to my cabin.

GomerPile
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 14:10

Driving a sand point is tough work. I tried it and failed miserably. As I was digging the mud pit for my drilled well I discovered that there was water at 5ft and I could have hit it with a post hole digger.

You might try digging a hole to see if there is anything there before pounding away on a well point.

This auger lets you screw on sections to go deeper than the typical 4ft post hole digger:

http://www.amazon.com/Seymour-Mfg-AU-S6-Post-Auger/dp/B00002N8OK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&q id=1346954852&sr=8-1&keywords=well+auger

If you hit water you can put the sand point in the hole and drive it in a bit and backfill the hole.

Scott_T
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 15:27

Quoting: Sustainusfarm
Sounds easy enough to do

Technically it is easy. Physically it is demanding. I installed a sand point at my land (soil type: sand and clay). I dug a 4' deep hole with a PHD then standing on a 5' step ladder used a 20 lb sledge hammer to pound 8' sections of pipe (1 1/4" dia) to a depth of 20'. No problems.

Tip: use a sacrificial 1.5" pipe between your stand pipe section and the drive cap otherwise you risk damaging threads on your standpipe. Other than violating my own safety protocol (pounding a pipe from the top rung of a step ladder is a bit foolish) this was an easy job. If you decide to do it my way practice your aim with a sledge and buff up on upper body strength.

Just
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 16:35

try reading customrunners thread on sand points good directions there .i have put in lots of sand points

Bevis
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 17:31

Here in Florida, we jet them in with water and a pump...much easier.

JoshG
# Posted: 6 Sep 2012 21:42

Research your soil. I tried it with the jackhammer, and it was smooth as warm butter for the first twelve feet, until I hit solid granite bedrock. I had no choice but to have it drilled. If you can get through, a jackhammer will save you LOTS of time and muscle aches. But research first, or it could end up costing you a point.

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 09:07

I have almost pure sand all the way to the aquifer...some small gravel at 20ft and then sand the rest of the way...I am hearing that the drilled wells in the area are 75-100 ft deep and in my direct area of neighbors is 80-85ft deep....so if that is how deep it is for drilled wells how deep do you think I can/ need to go with a sand point??

Just
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 09:24

depends on the ground water depth in your area. at my place beside a lake our sand point is 7 ft, deep [can't pump it dry].. ask your neighbours or at the local hardware store the will have a idea.good luck

Sustainusfarm
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 09:29

Thanks Just....I have a lot of Amish families for neighbors! I will ask them!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.