Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Buy a generator?
HopefulHomemaker
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 15:24

I just called about renting a generator for our build next week. They have a 5000 that I could rent for the week for $275. Or I can buy a 2000 from Tractor Supply for $150. We're only using it to run a few tools at the build (most of the lumber will be cut to size, so we're talking about charging drills and such, maybe running a circular saw for a little while). It would be nice to have a generator for occasional use, so paying less to own one than to rent one seems like a good deal. Any opinions? Will a 2000 work for a small build for a week?

GomerPile
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 15:32

A cheap 2000 watt might be pushing it for the circular saw if its a decent sized one.

Running battery chargers should be ok but test it before you leave because some electronic devices don't like some kinds of inverters. If your generator is an inverter type then there could be issues.

dk1393
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 15:57

I use a 5500 I bought at Lowes. It runs everything except my mig welder. It sometimes bogs down with the compressor, but not much. If you are going to use air tools/ nail guns, a cheap 2000 might not handle it.

HopefulHomemaker
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 16:07

I was looking at this one.

dk1393
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 16:16

I think this would run the saws ok. You might have to take it easy on some of the lumber such as the 6x6's. You would only be running one saw at a time I would think. Are you using nail guns??
I'm not sure it would hanle a compressor.

VC_fan
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 16:57

I built our shack with a cheap 2 kW Coleman that I'd bought for $100 out of the Tradin' Post classifieds (remember the days before Craigslist?). That one got burned up when I loaned it out and I now use another cheap but old 2 kW one. These run my decent circular saw and Delta 12" miter saw without issues (of course not at the same time). They've both been loud enough to drive you insane but that saves fuel because you turn them off unless you're actually making cuts. Keep in mind that you will not lift or carry anything much bigger than 2 kW. I'd be a little worried that the one you tagged says "2000 surge watts" - make sure that it's good for 2 kW steady state and that that's not just a few cycle surge value. One advantage to buying off Craigslist is that you can take YOUR saw or whatever and try it out before you buy the generator. For what it's worth my suggestion is to buy the one you're looking at and see if it works for you; it might run everything you need and if it does you're money ahead. If forced to rent the bigger one, the smaller one will still come in handy in the future. My .02. And I agree with the post above that the compressor would probably be a problem.

PA_Bound
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 17:19

Along with the watts, take a close look at the rating of circuit breakers. I bought a Generac GP3250 last winter. It seemed like a great mid-size generator- ran well for hours at a time, easy on fuel, quieter than similar models, and ran everything including my 15A compound mitre saw and 3/4hp deep-well pump. That is until the weather warmed up.

I can't explain this, but when spring came and the air temps rose generator performance plummeted. It would no longer run the well pump, and when I squeezed the switch on the mitre saw the circuit protection tripped. When I looked close, I noted the circuit protection ws rated at 14A's, not 15A like you would expect. For some reason this was not a factor running outside in the cold of winter, but in warmer temps the circuit protection tripped much easier. And, of course, it was too late to return it then.

So, take away message, check the circuit capacity along with the steady-state wattage rating.

bobbotron
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 17:22

I have a 30 watt solar panel, 70 amp battery and 400 Watt inverter. For charging tool batteries, this setup is great, it'll charge up anything no problem. Probably cost $400 all together, but it is nice to have power all the time, just chugging along with the sun.

Just playing devils advocate.

My two cents, I really doubt a 2000 watt generator would run a circ saw. You could run a jig or recip saw off of it, but most circ saws are 14 amp or higher. I have a 3000 watt champion generator... I wish I'd bought a 5000 watt one - I've rented a 5500 watt one a few times, soooo much nicer than my generator! (Except that it was a real back breaker to move.)

The comment about bringing your tools along to test out a generator is a good idea. Also, if the generator seems to really bog down when starting up the tool, that's not a good sign for the longevity of the genny for your purposes!

razmichael
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 19:39

Every generator is different obviously but we just finished two weeks of building using our Honda 2000. It ran a 10" miter sliding compound saw, a circular saw, a recip saw, drill (not same time naturally) while charging batteries and the pop-up battery system. Occasionally two tools at the same time but only somewhat successfully. As mentioned many times, once we pulled out the small compressor - no luck.

groingo
# Posted: 10 Sep 2012 20:00

Rent a good quality one to get the job done then set back and figure what your power needs will be unless you already know then you just buy the generator you need now and for in the future.
Me, I am a Honda, Yamaha generator guy, I need the reliability when I need it.

tcmatt
# Posted: 11 Sep 2012 22:10

tractor supply sells a yellow, Champion brand. I just bought one this spring for $329 and built my entire cabin with it (see "my 12x16" under my projects). Always started on the first pull. its great.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/champion-power-equipment-trade-3500w-4000w-portable-gene rator-4434023

here it is. I highly recommend it.
matt

bobbotron
# Posted: 12 Sep 2012 10:51

I run this air compressor off of my 3500 champion generator. It runs it quite well, I imagine this compressor would run on a lot of these lower power generators. Runs a framing air nailer well too...

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/product/8260697/Portable/5.7-Gallon-Portable-Air-Comp ressor

creeky
# Posted: 13 Sep 2012 17:26

i'm with tcmatt an d bobbotron. i bought a coleman with honda 390gs for 1000 bucks on sale. if you're building off grid you will use it again and again and ... it's 6500 watts running. with 4 120s and a 240 outlet.

rayyy
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 16:47

I know,I have neighbores fairly close to me and so I don't wan't them to hear me fire up the gen at 5 am so the honda 2000 serves me well.It runs at an idle.Small loads don't matter to it.So I can log in to here or watch tv or play the radio.Nothing but a dull hummmmm.The old style gen I use to pump water sounds like an old lawn mower with out a muffler running!

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 14 Sep 2012 17:52

We have a 5000 watt coleman generator purchased 8 years ago at Home Depot. In many cases we are running multiple tools Saws, Drills, Compressor, Vacuum. It has been well worth the initial investment. As mentioned by others, check your tools. One thing we found out was that the Ryobi battery charger would not work off of the generator.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 10:46

Quoting: rayyy
I know,I have neighbores fairly close to me and so I don't wan't them to hear me fire up the gen at 5 am so the honda 2000 serves me well.It runs at an idle.Small loads don't matter to it.So I can log in to here or watch tv or play the radio.Nothing but a dull hummmmm.The old style gen I use to pump water sounds like an old lawn mower with out a muffler running!

I use it also. It runs everythign I have to build my cabin, ie compressor, saws, shop vac and all in eco mode at about 50DB noise. I need to turnt he eco off to run my microwave, then its only 59DB

TheWildMan
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 14:45

i bought one of those 2000 watt generators, around here their referred to as suitcase generators, small portable units, they are poorly made and will not last long, i replaced mine 3 times when it broke from things like poor welds, screws missing out of the box, bad wireing. if you are going to buy a generator do yourself a favor and buy a good quality one for a little more, if you buy one of these cheap ones you get what you paid for.

if you have a truck i would suggest getting a 500 watt or better inverter and hooking it off the battery, idle the truck so it charges the battery and draw power that way, if you only need occasional power its a better setup.

after the bad experiences i had with cheap generators I set up a small solar pannel on the shed to keep a battery charged just for tools, when i need power tools i run them off the battery (drill, jig saw, etc). then put the battery back on the charger, it may take a few days to recharge but since i don't use the tools that often i just let it charge passivly over time, seperate from the main house battery.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 17 Sep 2012 17:26

Quoting: TheWildMan
i bought one of those 2000 watt generators, around here their referred to as suitcase generators, small portable units, they are poorly made and will not last long

No way are you talking about a Hondas then. You must mean someone elses 2000 watter suitcase generators.

TomChum
# Posted: 20 Sep 2012 00:54 - Edited by: TomChum

Rent for $275 per week? That's crazy. Go to Home Depotand buy a 3.5kW for $299. It must have a warranty for maybe 30 days? If it lasts a month that's only $75/ week. You might clarify the warranty.....

I bought a 5kW Coleman for $300 and it starts 2nd pull, every time, but it''s so loud I can't wait to shut it off. I have a pair of Honda EU2000i generators, super quiet, starts first lazy pull. I really like the Hondas but they are expensive.

TheWildMan
# Posted: 20 Sep 2012 10:02

Toyota_mdt_tech, I had a sportsman generator from tractor supply store, bought it in November on sale last year, replaced it twice in december, in February i picked up another at a local owned hardware store, don't remember the brand.

Honda has a quality name on it, so should be expected to stand behind the name, the ones i had were no name brands since when i needed one the only ones i could find were the cheap ones, most stores were sold out at the time so i bought the ones i could find, Nov, Dec, Feb, the time of year with the least daylight to charge my solar panels.

I was advising to buy the best ones and avoid cheap, I wasted $700 on a series of no name brand generators and would have been better off buying a highher quality one, hope no one else makes my mistake.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 20 Sep 2012 10:49

Good advice wildman. And ther worst time to buy them is when everyone needs them, ie winter storm etc when selection is limited, supply is low demand is high, so will prices. . Get a good one when they are plentiful, during times when no one needs them. And most of all, a Honda or a Yamaha. Like Tom said, they are expensive, when you get one, you wil see why and appreciate it. Will last forever, parts available for year and just about anywhere.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.