Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / connecting solar system to camper
<< . 1 . 2 .
optimistic
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 22:29

Amazing... I will read it tomorrow but I can not thank you enough Don. This is really impressive. I appreciate your help beyond words.

Thank you

MtnDon
# Posted: 4 Oct 2012 22:34

Quoting: TomChum
Don, you should order this 12v LED FLOOD light,

Funny you should mention those. I've been looking at them. I have an immediate need to wire up some better lights in the camper shell on the Tacoma p'up. I've also got a "maybe" project I'm thinking of... building a tear drop trailer. The LED lights would be ideal for that too, if they are bright enough and are not too focused a light. (As well as the normal age related issues with having more light to see, I have a contrast problem that will get worse until I have cataract surgery, but that is not going to be real soon.

NOTE to young readers. Wear sunglasses outdoors, ones that screen out UV even if you don't think you need them. That can have a definite sight saving effect; same as wearing hearing protection when young saves your ears. Yeah, I am missing response to certain auditory frequencies too.

MtnDon
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 00:14 - Edited by: MtnDon

TomChum, that is also a great tip about connecting to the pinned bulb. I think I'll use the crimp on wire connector method on a lamp I already have and just leave an couple inches extra wire just in case it needs replacing sometime. Of course a short lead could be wire nutted in the case the leads were too short for a replacement. Thanks for that!

It appears that small spade connectors might attach to the AR111 lamp.

It's also nice that they have the warm whites, the usual blue white are too harsh. Interesting that you can get red too... good for night vision retention. Maybe a warm white and a red for the back of the Tacoma. ???

TomChum
# Posted: 5 Oct 2012 13:24 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: MtnDon
Interesting that you can get red too... good for night vision retention.

I recommend the "Little Dot LEDs" for nitelite functions. They only use 1/5 watt (~16mA) and cost only $2 each. They are so small you can place them directly where needed, and see in natural colors. I know the principles behind red lighting but I bet ( ... with no warplanes buzzing around) that if there was a red and a (warm) white, nobody would choose the red except out of curiosity. Probably can attenuate the LED with a 'sharpie' if necessary. However, for only $2 you can get have a red DOT for your toybox, then you will know. I suspect red lighting was for people with good eyes 50 years ago, I think it's borderline useless for old eyes in 2012.

I have a handful of Little Dots in my toybox, - very useful.

Little Dot has doublestick tape on the backside. And the ribbon cable allows you to sneak it outside under a window gap, or underneath trim boards.

I use one LittleDot to illuminate my entire porch (7' x 16') and it is plenty bright, and I can see pretty far out into the 'yard' too.

Little Dot

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.