Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / how much solar power for 3k
grover
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 15:29

Planning a 600 sq ft cabin and the electricity is going to cost about 3k to get back to the cabin. Just wondering how much solar power can be bought for that? We are in S. Indiana so not a lot of sun in the winter months.
I would think the big draws would be refridge, washing machine, big screen tv I guess the dryer, on demand water heater, could be propane. Don't even want to think about the a/c

larry
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 15:39

for 3 grand?...i would go with grid power

Cooks Dock
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 19:44

Yeap, for 3 grand I'd run hydro..Sounds like you like your comforts!!
What would you do for water, drill a well? If so, more power needed.

Rob_O
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 19:55

I'm with larry, pay the man and get on the grid. I'm ~60 miles East of you (Louisville area) and would not want to go through another Summer like the one we just had without AC.

grover
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 22:43

Yep, I think you're correct. Plug into the pole it is.

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Oct 2012 23:09

How much does grid power cost in Indiana for 1 year?

MtnDon
# Posted: 15 Oct 2012 19:22

$3K for a grid tie is a good price. We chose solar because the grid tie was estimated at $55K. If I could of had a grid hook up for $3K that's what I would have voted for, I think. We spent $8K on solar and have no regrets, but it's not enough to run a fridge with 100% dependability when absent for days at a time.

Anonymous
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 16:42

Is there a battery powerful enough that could power a TV? I was hoping to have a cabin that uses minimal electricity, but it would be nice to have a TV (and Xbox or DVD player) just to play on a rainy day. Are there any batteries powerful/cheap enough to do so? (and how long would it last)

Cheers!

groingo
# Posted: 24 Oct 2012 23:49

With the appliances you mentioned grid power would be the most economical way, but if you can trim back your power use by 70% or more there are other more cost effective alternatives to solar.

Rossman
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 20:40

We got quoted $6600 from the hydro company just to do the grid connection "design", after which we would know the total cost to connect to the grid. We're maybe a kilometre from the closest people with power.

Think that we will put that money toward solar instead, feel that will pay off in the long run.

hinterland
# Posted: 16 Nov 2012 22:49

We had a small log cabin about 740' in Alberta Canada. We spent about 3k for the basics in a Solar System. The power poles in our case were going to hit us at around $60k.

spencerin
# Posted: 18 Nov 2012 14:27 - Edited by: spencerin

grover,

Depends on your frequency of usage. I have a place between Bloomington and Terre Haute and I did wire it for solar because of the cost to install and maintain grid power and because I don't stay at the place for long periods of time. That being said, if you can afford grid power, buy it. Not only is it 99.99% reliable, but will definitely help your property's resale value in the future.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.