Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Honda EU3000i Handi Carb icing
galen
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 19:18

Bought a Honda EU3000i Handi to replace my EU2000. Last couple weekends at cabin running this 3000i having trouble with carb icing in 10 and lower dergee temps . It starts to stumble and surge after running for 4-5 hours in these temps. Shut it off and after a few minutes will run fine. I did install the Honda crankcase vent heater after the first weekend expensive @$90 but generator did the same thing this last Sat. night. Any ideas. Thanks.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 21:47

You need to suck warmer air. Is the air filter inlet suck from outside the housing? If so, set it up so it can suck air from inside the generator housing/cabinet.

larry
# Posted: 29 Oct 2012 23:05

Quoting: toyota_mdt_tech
You need to suck warmer air

right on toyota ! if it is in a box or dog house of some type vent the exhaust to the exterior but allow the warm from the engine to be contained and used as combustion air. and don't forget you will need some type of vent to allow air into the dog house.

galen
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 01:32

Yes it does pull air from the backside bottom outside of the main housing. Will give it a try disconnecting the air tube so that pulls in air from the inside should be warmer. Great site. Thank you for the help.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 30 Oct 2012 09:08

Just make sure you pull i t before the air cleaner, not after (direction of airflow) so you still have your air cleaner. I'm suprised Honda doesnt have a kit for this. Cold air with lots of moisture in it will do this. My boss had a motorhome Onan gen set that did the same thing. They had a kit that you could install, it had a lever to flip for cold weather and hot weather. The lever just diverted inlet flow from a warm source near the exhaust.

I did a search, Honda makes a kit. Not sure if this is what you have now.

EU3000i Handi breather heater kit--P/N 06150-Z28-C31

See page 6 from this PDF Honda document.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/pdf/Accessories/generators.pdf

Langteigen
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 16:20

Just found this post and it describes my exact problem. I recently bought a honda eu30is (same as eu3000is) new from a store that had a 3 year old display model. The first weekend it started surging after a few hours and I took it back to the shop for having the carb cleaned. The following weekend it did the same thing so I cleaned the carb myself to save the laborious snowmobile ride into town. And this weekend it ran for 30 minutes before it started surging. All these weeks its been between -10C and -20C. I'm not able to let the generator breathe warm air as the unit is installed in a shed with no insulation.

Any ideas on how to solve this problem? I'm not confident that the 10w breather heater kit will do the trick...

MtnDon
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 16:45

Are you familiar with the intake and exhaust configuration for a direct vent wall heater? They use two concentric tubes / pipes. The inner is the exhaust and the larger outer pipe is the intake. As air flows in it is warmed by the hot exhaust tube in the center. Perhaps you can make something like that? ???

Langteigen
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 18:11

I have been thinking about solutions like that. The problem is that the eu3000is has both cooling air and exhaust coming out the same outlet. That means that the exhaust is "cool". I'm currently trying to figure out if the air filter box can be modified to take its air from the warm side of the cooling air flow. I figure if the air is above or at least close to freezing- it would be enough to stop the carb from freezing up...

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 23:42 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

Honda has a cold weather intake heater kit for these gennies.

I see 2 types for the EU3000m one is for the "i" and other is for the "is" model

EU3000i Handi breather heater kit 06150-Z28-C31

EU3000is breather heater kit 06390-ZS9-T20

And for the 2000, use: breather heater kit 06390-Z07-C20

Grab that number order it online or head to the Honda powerequipment dealer and order the kit.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 13:14

Quoting: galen
Bought a Honda EU3000i Handi to replace my EU2000. Last couple weekends at cabin running this 3000i having trouble with carb icing in 10 and lower dergee temps...

Click and buy, problem solved.

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/searchresults.cfm?cx=008737122150761418589:c24nnqwh7 co&cof=FORID:11&q=06390-Z07-C20

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.