Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Solar Question
hitanktank
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 21:17

I'm pretty dim when it comes to solar. I want a simple setup for powering2, maybe 3 things. Laptop, 3.3 cu. ft. energy saver mini fridge, and maybe some other small thing. Anyways, I dont want something complicated with tons of wires, breakers etc. I just want it to be as simple as possible.

Please feel free to give me thoughts. I'm also going to have a Honda EU2000i generator. I don't know why but Im not to big on this whole solar thing.

MtnDon
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 22:36

The fridge is probably the biggest energy consumer. Look up the rating on the one you are interested in. Report back. Ditto the consumption of the laptop and other things you would use. List the watts at 120 VAC if possible. Also the number of hours daily use.

For the fridge see if you can find the rating at http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=products.pr_find_es_products

Quoting: hitanktank
I don't know why but I'm not too big on this whole solar thing.

Sometimes it's hard to get excited about things one does not understand

hitanktank
# Posted: 12 Nov 2012 23:00

hot women excite me but I have NEVER understood women

TomChum
# Posted: 14 Nov 2012 23:02 - Edited by: TomChum

Quoting: hitanktank
I don't know why but I'm not too big on this whole solar thing.

There's a lot of 'talk' out there like that.

Talk radio, for one, uses a catchphrase against solar, its: "Solar?......it's just not there yet." Anyone else heard this? I think it's just paid advertising. Whenever I hear this I smell a rat, and it smells like energy companies pumping out press releases to the alternative "news" circuit (talk radio).

And not only sellers of energy but energy investors. The last few years all the financial institutions were pushing everyone to investing in energy, and now they need marketing to prevent people from moving their investments into alternative energies. They have ads on talk radio, obviously they are ALSO influencing the 'editorial' content too. Investment companies want to keep people paying into their energies. Solar is a thorn in their side because you can gather it yourself.

Unless you are in the shade (sorry Groingo!) I think Solar is a great thing for a small cabin. But you have to be comfortable with the "systems" and there is lots to learn. Solar is definitely "there" in the sunny portions of the USA.

hitanktank
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 01:48

my only reason is im too chicken to hook up a bunch of wires and dont want things complicated.

true story

kurtis
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 01:49

I've seen designs where people take a chest-freezer and modify it to become a refrigerator (different temperature). I don't know of the link off-hand but it seemed to be pretty power-efficient. The only down-fall was you had to wipe it out once a week but that's not a huge issue.

As far as laptops go, you can actually get laptops these days (for *cheap*) that use a lot less power than your standard computer. That may help save you money on buying more panels and batteries depending on your needs and the route you take. If you want me to look up any info for you there, let me know!

Of course you mentioned as simple as possible. If you're not using batteries, an inverter, etc... then you will be restricted to DC Appliances and no power at night. This isn't impossible to get around but you may have to look an alternative route when it comes to food preservation (underground? super-insulated?) and maybe buying devices with built-in batteries (laptop, electric shaver, phone, etc...) that you can charge during the day. You'll need some complexity at some point to convert the current but it doesn't have to be any more complicated than you make it.

On another note, if you're in a relatively windy area; a small wind-turbine might be great for your purposes.

bugs
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 15:47

Hitank

Methinks the electric fridge idea may be a bit much for a basic solar setup so the generator will likely be a must. We looked at things from all angles and decided on propane for our little fridge.

There is a company in Saskatoon, and likely elsewhere, that made our plug and play solar setup. They were very good and answered all the questions and in the end it was as simple as plug and play for us. Only had one marital "spark" and a couple of electrical sparks during the whole process. We now can run all our led lights, tablet, microwave and even an electric kettle off our setup.

Good luck

bugs

hitanktank
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 17:33

cool bugs thanks
Im gonna look into that Saskatoon company if its plug and play.

bugs
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 18:23

Hitanktank

Here is the link:
http://suncatchersolar.com/

bugs

hitanktank
# Posted: 15 Nov 2012 19:08

cool thanks so much

clearwater
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 02:46

Hi Bugs, hitanktank and all
I think living a comfortable life on solar is a matter of looking at just what your priorities are and eliminating those power aspects of everyday living that have no real use for your lifestyle, assuming that you don't feel the need to have a fully-fleged suburban lifestyle on rural solar.
Folk often seem to tend to overkill when it comes to solar.
I've run my home comfortably for the last 25 years on just four panels, using a cheap inverter for laptops and printer in a home office, propane for cooking, hot water and ( very infrequent) heating.
I use a 12 volt car fridge and I have a freezer at work where I can freeze food and freezer bricks for times when the weather is overcast for a few days. I use a 12 volt bilge pump for water pressure, a carpet sweeper or broom for the floors, 12 volt car CD Radio set up with speakers throughout the house, 12 volt lights, etc, etc.
Certainly you may have to modify your lifestyle slightly to set up solar as cheaply as I have, but it works fine.
Most important is siting your home to take advantage of all possible sunlight hours, and effective passive solar design which reduces the energy needs for heating and cooling.

Owen Kellogg
# Posted: 23 Nov 2012 16:28

Quoting: TomChum
Talk radio, for one, uses a catchphrase against solar, its: "Solar?......it's just not there yet." Anyone else heard this? I think it's just paid advertising. Whenever I hear this I smell a rat, and it smells like energy companies pumping out press releases to the alternative "news" circuit (talk radio).

Egg-zactly! Heaven forbid if anyone frees themselves from the umbilical cord of corporate cRapitlism.

There's a nice couple that has a channel on youtube where they show all kinds of neat experiments with solar, wind and other alternative energy. Most of the things they make themselves from scavanged materials. They have pitched their idea to the Discovery Channel/TLC to produce a show that showcases their projects, but I don't think it will ever happen - simply because advertisers will NOT sponsor a show like that. Alternative energy is OK to use only if you buy the systems that are pre-assembled, plug-n-play, overpriced products from taxpayer-subsidized companies. Sad...

Rant over.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.