Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / solar -- next step
toofewweekends
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 02:15

For 2+ years, we have had a small solar setup in our Alaska weekender cabin. A 350 watt GoPower inverter, a 100-watt panel and a couple of golf cart batteries.

More because it is hard to leave well enough alone, I'm looking to up my inverter into the 1500w range (to run a microwave or toaster w/o starting a generator). Also looking to add a higher amp battery charger (say, 30 amp) vs the 8a stream that the Honda 2k puts out (winter solar is zip).

I can get an Iota 30a charger for around $200 and an inverter for around $150, or I've seen a Xantrex combo unit (Freedom HF 1800) that runs around $500. It also gets into more permanent wiring, I think, and right now we just unhook the inverter and bring it in the cabin when we leave. So the spendier unit means building a little more sheltered environment that under the 4-foot cabin piers (which is where the batteries are).

Thoughts on whether the extra $$ is worth it? Other alternative set ups that you like?

razmichael
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 07:10

I use a HF 1800 inverter in my system and love it. Built in smart charger, auto transfer switch (start the generator and it switches to shore power and charges), remote panel etc. HOWEVER - not cheap, modified sine wave (not really a problem for most things), and, if you plan to use anything like its maximum output you need really big cables (read the manual). Having said that, you will really need to look closely at running something like a microwave. I believe that the cooking rating is about half the actual power consumption (a 600 watt oven will use 1200 watts - you need to check this) and the power drain on the batteries. You do not state the type/capacity of your batteries but you need to do some more calculations to determine if modifying your system for a microwave is really worth it.

toofewweekends
# Posted: 19 Nov 2012 21:01

Thanks for sharing your experience. Appreciate the heads up on cables. Will definitely upgrade those; fortunately everthing will sit within a couple of feet of each other.

I think I'm ok on the microwave -- a 750 watt unit, so a draw of 1500 (I suspect that's on startup?). We're a little on the small side in terms of battery capacity at this point (210 amp hours or so), but I'm figuring that while the appliances are a big draw they are only on for 5 minutes or so once or twice a day, so I don't think I'll drain them much.

For bigger tasks like power tools and a small fridge we use occasionally in summer), I'm figuring to just run the generator a bit.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.