Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / generator hookup
barnzyjr
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 21:59

I am a newbie and have a question. How do I hook a generator 4 prong twist lock 220 to a small circuit breaker box. I have purchased the connector to hook a generator cord to, but it has 4 leads 2 hot 1 common and one ground. How do I wire this to the breaker box? There is not other source of power to box so I would like to run this connection in through the main service. Any help would be great. And thanks in advance.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Nov 2012 22:38

A service panel made for 120/240 VAC has two hot connectors, one neutral white and a ground, though often the ground block has to be purchased separately. So that;s it; a black to each hot, the neutral white and the ground to their respective connectors.

If, one the other hand the panel is only meant to be used as a small sub panel it may only have a connection point for one hot lead. In that case it would be better, IMO, to use a different box where you can take advantage of the 120/240 setup and even out the 120 loads some.

Anonymous
# Posted: 26 Nov 2012 10:54

The leads from your cord will be red, black, white and green or bare. The red and black are inputs to your panel (line inputs) while the white goes to the neutral bar, ground can use the same bar. Hardwire your inputs to the panel for safety. I suspect you dont have a true gennie ground, you should have a rod in the ground tied into the panel anyway.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.