Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Things that really make your place better
groingo
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:26

Things that really make your place better:

1. Yamaha 1000 id generator, super efficient costs less to keep batteries charged than to have Power Company!
2. Waterford wood stove and the Eco Fan really keeps temp in cabin even when stove is going.
3. LED Lights, instant on and cut ten watts over my CFL's with better light ( no more ringing in my ears from CFL's).
4. Styrofoam sheet window shades really keep the heat in and light out.
5. Verizon Home Phone Connect cut power by 2 watts and has added benefit of working even when power is out.
6. Laptop (Compaq CQ57) affordable and cut 12 watts from previous laptop, plugged in uses only 10 watts even when watching a DVD!
7. Cool Water Refrigerator, just add stream water in summer once a day in fall and winter add only when temp gets above 60.

Things I've learned NOT to do:
1. Don't add wood to fire after 8 in the evening unless you want to stay up late.
2. Don't wash your clothes with unscented detergent in the stream, mine smelled like FISH!
3. Never buy dual pane windows using glass, Lexan is WAAAAY better, doesn't transfer cold but does cost more.
4. When doing laundry with bucket and vented plunger, don't stand directly over the bucket, splash backs can be embarassing!
5. When moving logs in the stream, look around more often, less shock when you do look up to see a young back bear sitting across from you watching and wondering what in the world you are doing!
6. Don't try to keep a resident deer from eating things you don't want her to, just makes her mad and more determined.
7. Don't wear a hat with crow feathers in it, then they will not dive bomb you and keep stealing your hat.

GomerPile
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 11:35

4. Styrofoam sheet window shades really keep the heat in and light out.

Is this something pre made that you can buy, or is it a DIY thing?

groingo
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:25 - Edited by: groingo

Strictly DIY: It's just the 1/2 inch white Styrofoam (Insulfoam) sheeting you can get at any hardware store,, 4 by 8 sheet sells for about $9.00, fits on the inside of your window frame, cut to size with razor knife and ruler and that's it.

hattie
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 12:35

hahaha....Love the list of things not to do!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Nov 2012 13:48

groingo -great lists.both of them.i especially liked the one about not using scented laundry detergent!

jrbarnard
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 06:37

What is a Cool Water Refrigerator? We have electricity so will prob get a normal frig, but you peaked my curiosity ;)

I would like to add the trail cams to that list. Having those is like Christmas each time we go out there. We have 8 Bushnell Trophy cams, well.. 6 right now, 2 are being repaired ;)

Russ

TheWildMan
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 11:11

groingo, have you used the shades in the past or is this the first year? if its your first time i would like to caution you about them.

styrofoam is a plastic, it does not let moisture through, i had tried putting a sheet in each window under a curtain 3 years ago. a lot of condensation built up between the glass and the styrofoam, when i took them down in spring i found the wood around the window had been warped by excess condensation and the paint was peeling, it was a huge mess to repair.

is the cool water fridge a swamp cooler? swamp coolers are built from unglazed ceramic and sand, in dry hot climates water is added to a layer of sand between 2 ceramic layers, the water sweats out evaporating and cools the stuff on the inside of the fridge (like how evaporating sweat on a person removes body heat).

if thats the same basic idea i would like to know your experience with it, also if your in a dry climate (midwest) or wet one (northeast), i considered building one but the high humidity around here left me doubting that it would work efficently (like how they say a dry heat is better)

now that i think of it if your in a dry climate that would also prevent the condensation in the windows. around here its always so wet we call the mountains the abspestos forest (the Adirondacks are always so wet they just don't burn and forest fires are almost unheard of)

groingo
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 11:30

Wild man:
1. The Styrofoam sheet is 1/2 inch thick Insulfoam Sheeting (white stuff), cut it to size to fit the inside window opening and put it between you and your window just like a curtain. There are small finger sized notches cut in each side for grabbing and venting, have never had condensation problems and been using over a year now.

2.The cool water fridge is nothing more than a ice chest but rather than ice you use cool stream or well water 42 degrees or less.
The key to making it work is all food is put in glass jars (glass conducts cold and is reusable) then in the cooler itself there is a shelf several inches from the bottom, you place your jar of food under the shelf which keeps the food at the bottom of the cooler which is the coolest place.
You keep track of water temp with a floating temp gauge and change water when it reaches 45 degrees in summer which can be daily, but in fall and winter the temp stays typically in the upper 30's.
As you may have guessed, you want to keep the cooler out side and out of the elements and you do not want to keep food over three days regardless so you date all food before putting it in the cooler and only cooked meat is allowed.

3. I'm in the Pacific Northwest and have the webbed feet to prove it!

TheWildMan
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 12:33

oh, I see how you did it, yes i see now how that would work, i had not though to put in such tabs when i did it, that would have let it vent and make it a lot easier to fit in place. your the only other person i know of who even tried this, I think i will give it another try this year, my old house i tried it in had insulated wndows, but its more important since my cabin has only single pane glass.

I also see what you did for a cooler, when i read water refrigerator i thought you meant water like a swamp cooler, I use a cooler half buried on the north side of my cabin. (about 5 feet behind it, always in the shade), the cool damp ground temperatures and shade keep it much cooler, not cold enough for a fridge but putting soda and water bottles in it lets me grab a cool drink in the hottest sumer weather.

rayyy
# Posted: 29 Nov 2012 17:14

The Genny is definatelly number one.Using it right now to check in on what's new with you folks.(also charging up my batteries)Playing some nice background music,too.Going with 12 volt battery lighting.You don't need the genny running to see what your doing!Batteries have stayed up just fine with the genny charge.Propane frig and hot water and stove/oven and heater.I always have the spare propane tank full and ready to go when the other tank run's empty.Comeing up on my one year aniversiry living in the cabin.I'm still grinning from ear to ear.I got to be crazy for doing this but,you know what? I'm having a ball!!1
!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.