Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Alternative toilet options. Many obstacles however =\
<< . 1 . 2 .
MtnDon
# Posted: 8 Dec 2012 11:27

It connects the stove intake directly to the exterior

optimistic
# Posted: 9 Dec 2012 22:45

This is without a doubt also my greatest concern. I have similar issues those who raised here: Wife wants a "real flush, winter temp, very expensive to go septice, and so on.

After looking at different options, this is what I currently ( ) have in mind:
There is a very nice guy here who built several mods of an outside chamber composter with very low flush toilet. He used a 55g drum for it. Find his posts. The only addition I will do to his design is that I will build a small super insulated shed for it and maybe even run small heating element for it when I there so if my insulation is good it will keep it worm for a couple of days when I leave...

I wish I could just do the diy septic... Would have saved me a lot of work and would work for toilet, sinks, and shower - no matter the weather. But it is a large risk to run in NY

Cazm1
# Posted: 11 Dec 2012 14:05

Simple is always the best way to go I think, I mean this is why we're here simple living, so "loveable loo" composting toilet is the best way to go and everyone instinctively turns their nose up at the idea of crappin' in a bucket, but the pine shavings really work, and a compost bin with shavings nearby and a little bit of hay on top to keep warm and composting, it's virtually odorless, did this for a year worked fine for us,..next time though I would probably build a bathroom with a little door behind the toilet so one could manage the waste from outside the cabin rather than trackin through a small cabin with a bucket of, well you get the picture,.. seems a bit odd at first but then hey it's not as odd as flushing thousands of gallons of perfectly good water down the drain like we do when were in the city..

villager
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 13:27

Quote "It connects the stove intake directly to the exterior".

Hi Don, i have tried to find the actuating components for this variable air source conduit,....both for my house furnace and my wood stove.
Could you share closeups and reference names for these parts ?
Does it adjust its opening according to ambient temps, or is there a sensor mounted to the stove itself?
thanks,...vilager

beachman
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 18:25

We have installed a centrix2000NE water flush Sunmar composting toilet. We were careful with the venting and the overflow tubing and pit that Mtn Don was speaking about. So far so good. Mtn Don is correct in that there is no composting below 50 - 55 degrees. Below this point it is just a holding tank but it works well if not overworked in the colder seasons. We are in the north and will visit this weekend. We will bring water for the flush. My wife also wanted something like the unit at home and this is pretty close. Our whole new camp started over discussions of a better toilet to avoid use of the existing outhouse.

creeg
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 23:14

We have been using a SunMar High capacity composting toilet for about 1 year now. ( mostly summer months ) but a few times in the colder weather but ( not freezing temps ) the good thing about it is there is little to no smell from the unit during normal use. It appears and feels close to using a normal toilet that flushes. It seems a little high to sit on but you get used to it after a few times. I don't have the "composting" part of it figured out yet. If you leave it plugged in or on for too long it drys up and won't compost correctly,...if you don't spin it properly "too early or too many times " it won't compost properly. Too much liquid or "P" has also turned up a "muddy swamp surprise" inside the bottom for me to deal with.
I didn't install it so I am hoping it is just my inexperience with composting and not an improper hook up or some type of clogging within the unit. The only other complaint about the unit is every once in a while you can smell the odor outside if the wind is moving the wrong way. The heater/fan motor on our unit is a little bit noisy as well.

gjonesfam
# Posted: 1 Jan 2013 22:22

We bought a incinerating toilet last summer and it works quite well.
Since we planned on using our cabin in the winter we opted for the incinerating type. I would recommend the Incinolet brand. This model runs on electricity and It has worked well. We haven't noticed any odors inside the cabin or outside. We paid about $1,800

tverga
# Posted: 3 Jan 2013 15:01

What about taking a marine hand pump toilet an plumbing it to a tank that has wheels, at the end of the weekend just roll it to the outhouse and dump.

http://www.rvtravel.com/blog/rvnow/2008/02/portable-rv-waste-tanks-come-in-handy.html

Purplerules
# Posted: 5 Jan 2013 17:15

Does anyone have a composting toilet that they are really really happy with?
Everyone I read about so far has something very negative about it.
I do not mind spending the money for one but it does need to work somewhat well. Most reviews seem to relate to the non-electric type.
Any ideas if the electric ones work better?

gjonesfam
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 20:36

Quoting: Purplerules
Any ideas if the electric ones work better?

We use an electric incinerating toilet made by Incinolet. I was concerned that in the cold temperatures the composting toilets wouldn't function properly.
So far we haven't had any issues and we are pleased with the Incinolet. No odors at all. You should be aware that a full cycle take about 2 hours so the fan will run for the full cycle.
Hope this helps

Rossman
# Posted: 6 Jan 2013 21:33

Anyone have any experience with the Eloo / EnviroLoo?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 22 Dec 2015 11:22

Found this tile at local building supplier (Hamilton Parker). Don't think my wife will want to incorporate tile or concept into our cabin.
Toilet option
Toilet option

<< . 1 . 2 .
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.