Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / driving a sand point into the side of a hill
tcmatt
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 21:26

Anyone ever drive a sand well point into the side of a hill until they hit water?

Just
# Posted: 5 Dec 2012 22:06

the short answer is yes . I have 4 active sand points all are on the top or sides of hills .. you never know were the water will be till you try.ask a local if there is one!!

tcmatt
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 14:13

there are a few existing nearby. I was wondering how far you went in the side until you hit water and if it effected the vegetation on the top of the hill (did the trees die due to lack of water?)

I only need a trickle to fill a 20-30 gallon cistern to draw from.

what are your site conditions like? I'm in a very sandy area.
thanks
Matt

Just
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 15:20

mine are all 7 to 10 ft deep thats were the water is around here [southern ont. can .] mine produce about 1\2 to 2 gal per min we also have very sandy soils ,gravel or sand is a must. talking only enough for a cabin will never kill your trees .

tcmatt
# Posted: 7 Dec 2012 16:08

Are your well points driven horizontally? there's a guy just north of me that has one driven horizontally into the side of a hill and it trickles out water. His topography is different than mine, but I think it might work on mine, as well. my hills are bigger and soils are more sandy. As it will likely be a constant low-flow if it works.

Just
# Posted: 8 Dec 2012 15:27

I would be concered about a constant flow ,that could kill your trees or drain the whole aquafer .

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.