Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Heating fuel eco bricks anyone use them?
bhebby
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 08:27

http://ecobrick.net/

I have been thinking about picking some of these up even if its for the overnight burn so I don't wake up chilly or in the middle of the night. They also take up less space than stacked wood and less mess. I hope they work as promised.

TomChum
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 10:36 - Edited by: TomChum

I have used those, and it was that same crazy brandname, EcoBrick. I put one brick ontop, the last log at night before bed. In the morning you have a hot pile of sawdust burning very slowly inside, but not putting out much heat either. But there is a significant amount of heat inside the pile and when you put another log on the fire it lights up quickly with no effort. It doesn't fit my "classical theme" but it's sure nice in the morning. You can toss a log in and jump back into bed.

Less mess is not my experience. You will have cellophane, which in general, has to be taken to a different trashcan (not the stove). And when you take off the cellophane it flips sawdust all over the place which you have to sweep up. If you let it get soaked with water it's now garbage. I don't mind bits of bark or chips, you can pick them up and put in a pail to use for starter.

Having that mass-produced stuff around makes your cabin look like Costco. But they definitely work well, and make ecological sense too as they are made of waste wood. I buy just enough to have one per night.

bhebby
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 10:49

That's all I am really looking for is to keep it going at night. I have a small jotul 602b and I can't really get a big honkin piece in there to keep it going over night. Still trying to fine tune my process heating with wood. I agree I don't want a Costco feel at camp,but being cold ain't cool either. I might buy a few packs and give them a whirl,thanks

GomerPile
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 15:15

I bought a ton of them because I just did not have time to cut wood.

They burn super hot when they get going. If your stove has leaky doors etc you can easily overfire. My tiny little stove would not take two at once without making the stove pipe glow. I have since sealed the stove with cement to eliminate some leaks. It still burns pretty hot with two in there but its manageable.

Another thing to know is that they expand like an accordian as they burn. If you have burner plates that come off the brick will push it up which causes overfiring due to the increased airflow....

Keep them dry or they turn into a pile of sawdust.

Otherwise they are pretty darn convenient and not as messy as logs.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 18:00

I had a coupon for some free samples, used them all up last winter. They burned nice and hot, taking my stovepipe thermometer past "creosote" to ~"good temp, no creosote buildup" (themometer from Lehman's, no affiliation). They made my stove talk... The heat caused creaking noises, t'was nice sound on a cold night.

I need another coupon...

bhebby
# Posted: 19 Dec 2012 18:25

Good info because the website has them stacked like Legos in their stove. I will try one and go from there. Thanks

bhebby
# Posted: 23 Dec 2012 13:55

Update for anyone interested.
They work well....... tractor supply sells a different brand now and they come with three large bricks. Each seven pound brick is equal to 14 lbs. of cut firewood.i put one brick in at midnight and woke up at 7 with the temperature starting to drop. I usually wake up at 5 starting to get cold. I would not want to burn these all day long but, I will burn them at night from now on. I leaves little ash which is nice since the little jotl 602 is limited on space already.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.