Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / TV Antenna Question
spencerin
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 01:09

I'm thinking about setting up a tv antenna at my cabin (there's only so many DVDs I can watch). So, I went to www.antennapoint.com and input my cabin's zip code, and the site returned 16 channels from my zip code and recommended the ClearStream 2V (C2) antenna.

I guess I have to climb 30' up a tree and install the antenna. I also have to run at least 150' of cable from the antenna to the cabin because my cabin is in a gully, so I have to go 150' away to get to the top of the gully and up a tree. My cabin's location is also mostly wooded.

Does this sound worth the money, time, and effort? What are your experiences with using antennas?

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 10:36

"Does this sound worth the money, time, and effort?"

Have you seen what's on TV lately?

I entered my address and got the same antenna recommendation I also noticed that the TV channels list was not complete for my area.

www.tvfool.com might give you more info? This site will show signal strength and direction for each station with your planned antenna elevation, so you can get an idea of what you'll be able to watch (strongest signals = most likely). You can also see if there are any digital VHF stations (few in my area) vs UHF (vast majority) to help with antenna choice (UHF, VHF or combo).

I get a number of digital UHF stations with very good reception- I went for a UHF-only antenna (forget the exact one) with 8 elements. I'm down in a valley but do OK. Trees do interfere with my reception. When the leaves are out, less signal (6 months of the year). When the wind moves the leaves, less reception.

Before spending a lot of money, experiment at your cabin. Try a cheap UHF indoor antenna (rabbit ears or loop) if you haven't already. You might find you need to turn it towards the TV tower (use tvfool.com map to point to the most powerful stations). If you get some stations with this setup, an outdoor elevated antenna with many arrays will only improve things. A 30' tower off Craigslist with a $60 antenna might be good enough? The alternative 150' run of coax might lose a bit of signal and need amplification.

Also, you might check with neighbors to see if they have luck with similar situation?

Good luck/good viewing! Keep us posted on your results.

SE Ohio

MtnDon
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 11:40 - Edited by: MtnDon

It can be done. You will more than likely need a preamp at the antenna though. TVfool is a good site. I know someone here who has an antenna on a ridge with a 500 foot run of RG11 cable down to the cabin. Preamp choice needs some guidance from an expert though. Too powerfuk a preamp messes any signals that are already very strong. That's about all I can contribute.

Our antenna is 30 feet above grade, I run a small Winegard preamp with a cable run of 110 feet. The transmitters are about 40 miles away at an elevation about2200 feet higher. The antenna works good most of the time through the tree tops. I'd need 80 feet of height to get above the pine tops.

rayyy
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 11:41

I tried putting a cheap wal-mart digital antenna up in a tree but every time the wind moved the tree my signal faded in and out.I wound up getting a good quality digital antenna($100.00 from a local tv repair shop) and mounted it on somthing solid.Much better.I get about a dozen channals now.

Steve961
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 13:13 - Edited by: Steve961

If you're looking to get good digital reception, take a look at DigiTenna. Several of my friends have these and are able to pull in digital TV signals 60 miles away. Here's their website:

DigiTenna

spencerin
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 13:26

This is going to be a pain, I just know it!

I tried a cheap Walmart antenna and it found one signal but no picture came in, so nothing. If you guys want to see what I see on tvfool.com and antennapoint.com, I attached a *.bmp for TV Fool and an Excel / Star Office spreadsheet for Antenna Point.

The closest "metro" areas are Indianapolis, Bloomington, and Terre Haute, IN. Most of the stations come out of Indianapolis, which is also the farthest (45-50 miles) from my cabin. But, Terre Haute has NBC, CBS, and Fox, and Terre Haute is 35 miles away, which may be easier to pick up.

So, in order for me to pick most of these Terre Haute and Indy stations, I'd probably need something that is directional, correct? Which means I'll be getting either TH or Indy stations, but not both at the same time.

SE Ohio, I like the idea of a 30' tower, but to get to "high ground" I gotta get out of my gully which is probably 15' below grade and 100' to get to the top, and then I gotta run it up a tree, hence the long cable run.

I'm just brainstorming here, but if I stick with the Terre Haute stations (CBS, NBC, and FOX), I might be able to avoid a cable run. My cabin sits on the east bank of a small lake, but big enough that I think the stations could come in unimpeded by trees. The Terre Haute stations are WSW from my cabin. Does this sound plausible?
TV Fool
TV Fool

SE Ohio
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 15:05

My 8-element UHF directional antenna cannot pick up the outer 2 rings on the chart, probably only the 3-4 most powerful ones shown. Good enough? You might get more with a higher and larger antenna? It is a balance of viewing preferences vs expenditure, but you could do okay with a 30' setup but spend a bit extra for the directional controller/motor, as the signals are all over the compass.

Martian
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 15:54

I'm 65-70 miles from the transmitters. I use a 50' mast with a deep fringe Channelmaster 1020 (?). There is a preamp and 75' of cable. Reception is limited to 8 channels, when pointed in one direction, and one other channel in a slightly different direction. I just step out and turn the mast towards the signal I want.

If you are only 35-40 miles from the transmitters, chances are, with a good antenna, 30-50' mast, and a preamp, you will get pretty good reception. I spent around $450 on my setup.

Tom

spencerin
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 16:45 - Edited by: spencerin

SE Ohio, I think I'd be okay with 3-4 stations, as long as they come in strong basically 100% of the time. The stations out of Terre Haute (CBS, NBC, FOX) would be okay for me.

Does anybody here agree with my theory about being on the east bank of a small lake allowing me to pickup the Terre Haute stations 35 miles WSW to me (the theory is that there won't be much tree intereference from the west due to the lake) without a tower (I can put it up a tree instead)?

Also, what itemized costs am I looking at for a tower, preamp, 60' of coax cable, and rotor? I can get an antenna for ~$70 or so from amazon.com. Knowing myself, I don't want to spend too much on this as my cabin is definitely not a full-time residence, but I also want to know what a high-end bill would be, and I can price myself from there.

Thank you very much for your responses, by the way.

Martian
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 18:38 - Edited by: Martian

Trees sway; towers don't. It may cause you to lose your signal on windy days. I wouldn't get a rotor (the gears can strip in high winds). A pipe wrench on the tower is how I point mine. As for pricing, check out Channel Master's website. They have everything, and the prices will be current.

I'd suggest getting a system better than what you think you just need. I get much better reception with the one I have now compared to my first system. I could have saved the time and money of doing it twice.

Tom

EvoQ
# Posted: 24 Dec 2012 23:55

I canceled my Cable TV connection about 4 years ago. Now I get everything that I want to see over the Internet. Take a look at your choices thru the WWW before investing in all that. You can get way more than an antenna will ever get you thru the Internet.

SE Ohio
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 10:56

I think Channel Master is my antenna brand... Again, don't remember the model. I agree with the philosophy of over-doing the antenna size.

My rotator has survived many windstorms without any damage, usually the pole brackets slip. I have to re-point the antenna every few years. No biggie for me, but I'd prefer not to manhandle the antenna for each station- Your most powerful stations are about 90 degrees apart and might require directing the antenna to get good reception.

I have two brackets that support a short mast that holds the rotator, and that supports a short antenna mast. The whole assembly bolts onto my gable and keeps the antenna above the roof line. This is a fairly cheap setup less the rotator. Often one can find used "ladder masts" (for lack of a better term) that are triangular. These can be found in varying lengths cheaply on Craigslist, and can be set in concrete. Higher antenna will get better signal.

I have occasional reception issues due to weather, usually swaying trees that are taller than the antenna. If your antenna sways, your signal with "blink" with digital; it's all or nothing (analog would fade). If you have a secure antenna mount and no swaying trees your reception should be good for at least the 3 most powerful stations on your graph.

ericfromcowtown
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 11:02

Quoting: EvoQ
I canceled my Cable TV connection about 4 years ago. Now I get everything that I want to see over the Internet. Take a look at your choices thru the WWW before investing in all that. You can get way more than an antenna will ever get you thru the Internet.

We did the same thing a few years ago and have been amazed at how little with miss channel surfing through a sea of garbage. You can watch so much on the Internet for free and we've become so much more intentional about what series that we watch.

As for our cabin, I did notice that the previous owner left an old tv (we just took possession and now won't be back until the snow is gone sometime in March?), but if we keep it, it will just be to watch the odd dvd.

MtnDon
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 12:21

Quoting: EvoQ
I get everything that I want to see over the Internet.

That requires an internet connection that can handle the bandwidth. In our case there is no telephone landline anywhere close to the property. So that leaves satellite or cell. Cell doesn't provide the bandwidth without being ridiculously expensive. Satellite requires a monthly fee and the last time I looked a contract I don't want.

Over the air TV required a one time equipment purchase. No monthly fee.

Yes I would like to have internet I can use at the cabin. But I'm a cheap old fart and actually don't mind being away from it for a weekend or week or so.

There are probably more people than one might expect who still use OTA TV. We use it at home too; for decades had the antenna in the attic. When we reroofed with metal it had i to be moved to the roof top.

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 21:51

I agree, MtnDon.

If any of you saw my cabin, you'd understand why I'm only considering "old school" tv. The cabin's not bad at all, it's just very small and not meant for full-time residency. Cable / internet expenditures aren't worth the benefits in this situation (which is also why I went solar), but I just want SOME tv so I can check local weather, news, and programming for cheap.

However, if I did have a more-permanent residence, I'd definitely spring for more of the luxuries.

spencerin
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 22:01 - Edited by: spencerin

Talk about Murphy's Law:

I was thinking about buying an antenna and trying it indoors, pointing it towards Terre Haute, and seeing what comes in before moving to the outdoor mounting, but after reading MtnDon's post, I remembered I have a metal roof. Secondly, for years I had 6' of coax cable lying around in my "spare electronics stuff" box. A few months ago I decided to pitch it because I never needed it. And now I do.

Just
# Posted: 25 Dec 2012 22:59 - Edited by: Just

In 2011 we updated our system at our summer place on the shores of lake Erie . We kept our old 30 ft. antenna tower and roter but added new coax , a new preamp at the top of the mast and a new flat screen TV . because of the lake we now get all the major network stations both Canadian and US plus PBS and TVO plus 30 or 40 local stations all around the lake ..from Buffalo and Hamilton to Clevland and Detroit. the trick is no trees .So my advice is go as high as you can afford and it should work great . Good Luck
100_1347.jpg
100_1347.jpg
100_0236.jpg
100_0236.jpg

justincasei812
# Posted: 26 Dec 2012 14:27

I have a remote cabin (sort of speak) and you are right about watching so many DVD's even if they are TV shows. I bought an RCA antenna and was around $50-60 (bought took back and bought different models to get one that would work right). The antenna is good for 45-50 miles and looks like a mini version of the older bigger ones. I installed it at the rooftop level of the cabin (could have installed in the attic but thought better of it with the snow we get (may hinder the signal) and it works great. I actually pick up signal over the 50 mile range it suggests and I am in a decently treed area (pines, so a lot of cover) I pick up the basics (NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, and PBS) which is perfect for what I was looking for.

I did use Tvfool.com to help with the direction and placement of the antenna and to see what stations I could pick up. I would make sure the TV you are trying to use can handle digital signals or you will have to buy a converter. I had issues with the converter I purchased and for the price ($50) back it went and it was easier to buy a newer TV and the signal is awesome and no issues.

Kevin

spencerin
# Posted: 2 Feb 2013 23:30 - Edited by: spencerin

So, I've narrowed down the antennas to 2 -

Antenna Pros Spectrum 100
Antenna Pros Spectrum 2

Can't really make up my mind on which to try first.

I like the Spectrum 100 because it is omni-directional - whatever it gets it gets and I don't have to rotate it. The 50-mile range is acceptable. What I don't like it how expensive it is. And I don't know for certain that just because it is $100+ that it is in fact my best option.

I like the Spectrum 2 because it is less expensive and has a much farther range (100 miles). What I don't like is that you have to rotate it. For example, flipping through stations would also involve rotating the antenna until a station comes in instead of only having to turn on the channel. That's kind of a nuisance. But, it's range *may* allow me to get a few more stations than the omni given nature's impendences. But not certain about that.

My cabin is in a gulley surrounded by trees on 3 sides, so I don't know how much that will affect the reception for each. For example, I could probably get stations to the WSW with either just fine (the one side not blocked by trees), but there are stations from other directions that the trees are likely hindering. So, will the trees hinder each antenna the same, or will they hinder the omni more than the rotator due to their range differences, and so getting the rotator would be better?

And, if the trees hinder both to the point that only the WSW stations come in no matter what, I'd just need to get a directional and that's it. For example, a directional would get me 3 networks whereas if the omni or rotator worked well, I'd get 7 networks. Not much of a difference.

Bah.

justincasei812
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 12:46

I bought the RCA ANT751R antenna for around 50-60 bucks at Menards. Amazon has them for $52 plus free shipping but if it doesn't work it would be harder to send back. I would try to buy a cheaper model take it to your cabin and lay it on the roof change the direction a couple of time to see if it makes any difference in how many channels or reception you receive. I actually even received a better signal after attaching it to the roof but the signal came in good as it laid there. If the cheaper ones don't work upgrade until you can find someting that will work for your area. the trees don't seem to effect reception other than when it is very windy.

Kevin

rayyy
# Posted: 4 Feb 2013 15:36

I know I bought one of those digital antenna's (look's more like a solar panel)for my digetal t.v.Works pretty well,though.I get about a dozen good chanels in.But I'm within 30 miles of two big city's.Often the signal is influenced by the weather,though.I have Hugsenet sattelite reception for my internet.It's expensive but it's worth it.(I spend more time on line than I do watching T.V.)

TheWildMan
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 09:06

TV fool is a good reference, but know that all antennas are not equal, i had one that was rated for 100 miles, spent good money on it and it barely picked up a local pbs chanel on a good day. got a big old style one on the curb (someone was throwing it out) and got 30+ channels (it was a directional antenna, point it in the direction of the broadcast, the best direction i get gives me 9 channels and thats where i leave it)

tv fool gives you distance to the broadcast location in miles, in theory you may have a list of 200 (i did) but most were 100 miles away or more and needed some serious equipment to pick up, you can guage how far the towers are and size up what you need to pick up a few you may want.

digital channels can be combined in the same frequency but only go a short distance, analog (US law killed them off) cover 6 times the distance but overlap and fill the airways. digital is a good thing in the city settings but worthless in the countryside, canada still uses analog and if your close to the boarder you may get a lot of analog channels from the noth that TV fool won't list (i get 12 in theory but i don't know french so don't count them)

your best channels on antenna may be PBS, they broadcast all over and in the adirondack mountains we even have a local pbs broadcast channel (blue mountain lake, 3 channels on the same frequency), a lot of rural areas have a local pbs, pbs is publicly funded (not for profit) and dates back to the 40s or 50s when tv programing was required by law to provide educational content and gets funding from government sources, grants, and donations from local businesses and individuals. its full of documentaries, the news (honest and unbiased-not corporate funded) how to (woodworking, gardening, painting, cooking), and childrens programming. its mostly educational content on pbs, sometimes classic movies too.

I pick up 2 other pbs channels (each one has a different line up of shows but they all tend to be educational) from distant cities (100+ miles away) depending on the antenna direction and I pick up fox and cbs (both are old broadcasters from the old days, good for sitcoms and mainstream tv, I watch simpsons and family guy every week). some of the biggest names in tv (the networks) built their tv empire on broadcast and maintain their position.

i hope my experience can help give you some insight into setting up your antenna and some expectation into the kinds of things you may find. you could also get pirate tv stations (local analog broadcasts from unlisenced sources with unauthorized broadcast of tv shows and movies, found on analog in a few remote places).

there is also a free satelite tv setup, you pay for equipment and set it up but never pay to watch, i don't remember what its called. its 40% riligious based channels, 30% in spanish or other languages, and 30% WTF who knows where it came from, only a few people even want to watch this stuff so they don't charge the people who actually do.

creeky
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 15:31

I just went through this same process. tvfool etc.
My solution was a 15' mast (3/4" electrical conduit stuck into a pipe in the ground that holds my bird feeders). $10 bucks or so.
An eight bay antenna I found at a discount place for $50 bucks.
A el cheapo no name "video amp" from a discount place $5.
100' coax RJ6. $10 from a discount place (princess auto rules).
And I get most of the channels I used to get with the expensive RV amplified antenna I used to have. And a couple of new ones. If I want some channels I have to go rotate the mast. But for as much tv as I watch. a one time outlay of $100 is pretty good.
tvfool really helped with aiming the antenna.
If you only have a couple of directions to aim your antenna, I did read a recommendation that you do 2 4 bay antennas. one aimed in each direction. you do need seperate coax to a combiner box at the tv or you risk loosing signal strength. apparently.

spencerin
# Posted: 5 Feb 2013 19:05

Well, after wracking my brain over this for a few weeks, I'm going to go with the Spectrum2 by Antenna Pros. I'll set it up when the weather gets a little more tolerable and let you know how it goes!

bobrok
# Posted: 6 Feb 2013 12:06

Question for TheWildMan:
What are the channel numbers on which you receive PBS out of Blue Mountain Lake? Thanks.
bob

spencerin
# Posted: 11 Feb 2013 22:19

Quoting: justincasei812
I bought the RCA ANT751R antenna

justincasei812, do you think your antenna would work well @ ~35 miles? Terrain isn't what you'd call "line of sight", but it's not what you'd call "mountainous", either. I'm trying to decide between that and the Clearstream 2V. I'm returning the Spectrum2 - no way it's as good as advertised, the quality gives it away. Both your RCA antenna and the Clearstream 2V have very good ratings, and I can't decide between the two.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.