Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Does anyone have an rv stove?
bhebby
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 16:52

I have a small one that I got used but was never used. It has electric ignition. So far I have used a match or lighter to light the burners however i am curious to lighting the oven portion with a match . Does anyone know if these types of stoves have a oven pilot? Could the oven be lit with a match still? Thanks

VC_fan
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 18:07

We had a fairly basic 2007 Class C (Ford E450 chassis) motorhome for a while. Its stove had spark ignitors for the burners but the oven had to be lit with a match. I know that higher end RV stoves had spark ignitors on the ovens. Don't know if that helps.

MtnDon
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 18:13 - Edited by: MtnDon

Most likely it has a pilot light for the oven. It'll be way back at the rear wall right at the back end of the burner bar. Most RV ovens do not have electronic oven igniters unless they also have an oven door interlock to prevent lighting the oven via an igniter when the door is closed. Good way to have an explosion in there.

Home ranges with electronic ignition for the stove top burners use an electric heater bar ignition for the oven. Those won't explode, BUT those require 120 VAC power for the full time the oven is in use. Not good for off grid use.

ShabinNo5
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 18:25

We have an RV Stove that has the option of keeping a pilot light burning or lighting with a match. We have chosen to light with a match. I personally do not trust that the stove will shut off the gas if the pilot light goes out.

In our case we open the oven door and light the burner element, which is located on the oven ceiling.

sparky1
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 19:30

I have a motorhome with twist to light igniters,but there is a valve to shut off the Oven under the top plate,

My other camper had the same valve took a screw driver to little valve under the top plate.but to light anything it took a match or Lighter.
sparky1 in s.va.

MJW
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 21:02

Our fifth wheel has the spark light for the burners and the oven will keep a pilot but we find it easier (and quieter) to just light the eyes with a lighter. Same with the oven.

No sense wasting propane on a pilot light.

toyota_mdt_tech
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 21:41 - Edited by: toyota_mdt_tech

The oven is thermostatically controlled. It needs a way to light and turn off and then back on. So it wont work if its electronically lit. I have an RV stove/oven in mine, its a Magic Chef, 4 burner, 21" oven. Older model, all pilots, but I have the option of "pilot off" mode on the oven and I can either turn on the auto top burner lighter by lighting the center pilot light or turning a small screw to close that pilot off (gas supply), but then I will have to manually light the cook top each time. My oven does have a pilot, it must be lit to work properly, ie it is used to relight the burner as it thermostatically turns off, then back on. But I can turn the know to full "pilot off" mode, that is only while away or transport to save propane etc.

rayyy
# Posted: 28 Dec 2012 16:40

I know,I found a 3-burner/oven MagicCheif rv stove on ebay.They don't make them anymore but their still avalible.It is all match lite.No clock or any electric gagets.This stove of yours should be able to be lit by flame.I have a long nozzled gas grill lighter that I use.If there is a spot on the oven tempeture dial marked pilot or pilot on,you have to depress the dial while throwing a flame under the burner.Once the pilot is lite hold the dial in for a good 30 seconds.This will allow the pilot flame to heat up the thermocoupler thuss allowing the main burner to lite.

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.