Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off-Grid Living / Simple Plastic Cola Bottle Equivalent to 60 watt Light Bulb !
EvoQ
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 18:32

I came across this Article about a Simple Plastic Cola Bottle suspended thru the roof is the[ Equivalent to a 60 Watt Light Bulb.

This Concept first took hold in 3rd world countries needing Cheap Electricity free indoor lighting.

What happens is that you find a large Liter Sized Cola Bottle, fill it with water and add a couple drops of Bleach to keep the water free from algae.

At this point suspend this Water Bottle thru the Roof of the Building.

This Water Bottle setup provides enough light to be the equivalent of a 50 watt Light Bulb. You can Read and See the Article Here.

This is a Super Neat trick and something that I am going to design into my Cabin, maybe not necessary Cola Bottles but something similar, maybe a bit larger like Glass Jugs, providing a great deal of light indoors, totally Electricity free.

Amazing what one can do when you just think and find solutions to ordinary problems. We waste so much on this Planet and should be so ashamed of how our society just treats this awesome life that we have been graced with.

hattie
# Posted: 27 Dec 2012 20:30

I have seen these online before. They are very ingenious - kind of like a free solatube. Just remember that they won't be any help after the sun goes down, but you can use oil lamps for light at night if you don't have electricity.

aaron
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 13:08

has anyone tryed this in a cold climate where it freezes? great idea for spring and summer

tverga
# Posted: 4 Jan 2013 16:57

If you are going to attempt this I would suggest a marine deck prism or a skylight, I know they both cost more than an empty bottle but they are also made to be sealed into a roof. Good luck trying to seal a bottle through your roof, who cares if you can see the rain now dripping on your head!

http://shop.torresen.com/ships_store/?p=details&ident=303945&mfc=ABI+Marine&sku=14124 2&prod_name=Deck+Prism%2C+Bronze%2C+Aurora+Synthetic+Crystal%2C+Kit&sectionid=5646

howy61
# Posted: 11 Apr 2014 10:56 - Edited by: howy61

A modern deck prism is a more professional and durable solution. A solar tube even better.

However, if this works with a plastic bottle, why not a heavier clear glass bottle. Thinking maybe an empty bottle of Jack, Jim, or Jose, inverted with the base set flush just like a Morgan Deck Prism. The fluted neck should work like a prism and depending on how hard the freezes are a mix of either rubbing alcohol or food grade glycol or standard antifreeze (depending on how green you want to be).

Update: thought some more. With a square bottle, it could be filled only half way and then mounted horizontally with 2 corners aligned with the roof so that the other 2 corners extend above and below the roof. the flat surface of the water should effectively create a triangular prism and redirect the light. It might have an a small edge of colors since a true prism will split white light.

Looked up the freeze point of Mineral Oil: -30C(-22F) which opens up a number of other options that would not have expansion concerns that water does.

OwenChristensen
# Posted: 12 Apr 2014 16:56

Yeah, I don't need lights when the sun's out, but thanks.

KinAlberta
# Posted: 14 Mar 2017 16:51

I've got a boat house that I want to get some light into so I've thought of just cutting in some used glass blocks under the eaves around the building, or a solar powered motion security light mounted inside with the panel on the outside (the ideal solution) or going the coke bottle route.

https://offgridworld.com/cheap-solar-tube-lighting-for-chicken-coop/

Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.